Battery trickle charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read the manual several times over and it advised to remove the battery for charging or to at least disconnect it fully before charging. I believe they are referring to the usual full on charge whwre you put heavy amperage into the battery which could definitely harm the system. .

My question is whether that is necessary in hooking up a 1.25 amp trickle charger such as a battery tender? I received a low battery warning this evening on the center stack screen, and I am probably guilty of leaving lights on too long, as we are in the wildfire area here in San Diego County. Things have been nuts so the battery is down a bit. I did drive the vehicle about 150 miles last Friday but not much since, and don't plan on driving much for the next week or so. Probably too many short trips and starts and stops.

Anyone simply hook up the Battery Tender to the battery terminals and charge overnight or over a weekend with no problems? On other vehicles it has always worked fine that way, no matter the car or the electronic systems involved. I just want to be sure that the LR is the same way.

Thanks for your input.

no-pistons

Reaction score
I've done it a few times. No problems here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a trickle charger all the time, every night in the winter in my garage. The truck starts better/faster and no dreaded low battery warnings.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have the battery tender on now and after 10 hours it's still not fully charged. Was showing 80% at about 7 hours charging so I'll let it charge overnight and it should be done by morning. Again, thanks for the replies.

PS Only thing I ever got good from BMW was a BMW branded Battery Tender whn my spouses BMW battery would go dead continuously. They thought that was better than ordering and changing a module, which they eventually had to do anyway!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old are the batteries before you start getting the low battery warnings? I haven't had that yet on my 2013 and it saw some pretty harsh conditions over this last hellish Iowa winter.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old are the batteries before you start getting the low battery warnings? I haven't had that yet on my 2013 and it saw some pretty harsh conditions over this last hellish Iowa winter.

My 2014 HSE LUX (we have 2 2013's, one HSE and one HSE LUX) is only 9 months old and I got that. As I noted, it's probably my fault from ots of short trips, starts and stops and maybe from leaving the inside lights on. Although I also found that leaving the deck and tailgate open only leaves the lights on a few minutes and they automatically shut down, so that's not likely the problem.

The other 2013 is about 14 months old and has less mileage but fewer stops and starts and has had no battery warnings. If I get any more battery warnings I'll take it to the dealer and have them load test it and see if it needs a new battery.

It charged to 13.17 volts this morning so it does charge fully okay.We'll see how it holds up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4