1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big LR4 issue, cut losses and sell vs fix?

Discussion in 'LR4' started by SwampMonster, Jul 28, 2020.

1. jlach993

jlach993 Full Access Member

Guys...discount fuel and “top tier” fuels are the same shit lol. Just marketing gimmicks. They all must have the same detergents in them legally mandated by the government. 93 Octane is of importance with regards to our trucks however. Even if you guys DID want to argue that shell or mobil has extra detergents in their fuel, it doesn’t matter one bit with our direct injection engines. Detergents in gasoline only help port injected engines. So fill up with whatever is around, but go for the 93 octane. Y’all are seriously overthinking gasoline nowadays.

itiosso likes this.
  2. DaytonaRS7

DaytonaRS7 Full Access Member

to "fuel" the debate, I have exclusively used BJ's wholesale club 93 octane gas in my RS7 for 3 years, in my S4 for 3 years, and in my 350Z for 4 years....never had any fueling issues. their gas is definitly not considered "top tier". I actually think they use whatever fuel supplier is cheapest at the time when their tanks are empty.
    To support this, i have my RS7 heavily tuned and can monitor engine knock data live, i get almost 0 knock, even when driving hard.

I do make a habit of adding 1 can of BG44K into the tank, per year, to any of my cars.

the LR4 i have only owned for 5 months, but i added the BG44K to it about 2 months after ownership, and it i added over 1MPG. doesn't sound like much, but on a car that was getting 14MPG and now getting 15.4MPG...that's a good increase.

3. PaulLR3

PaulLR3 Full Access Member

Maybe the extra detergent is the reason I'm still on my first fuel pump while my neighbor is on her third fuel pump. Both our LR4's have around 120K miles on the odometer.

SkyTree, Quijote and cperez like this.
  4. Quijote

Quijote Full Access Member

A few comments:

-They all have the required stuff, sure. But they don't all have the same stuff.
    -I've had cars and still have a car that is not DI and it was bought used with 80k+ miles.
    -In the Boston suburbs, most gas stations near us/on our way to places are Mobil/Shell/Sunoco/etc. I'd have to almost go out of my way to not go to one of those. (example: on my way to/from work I pass exactly 3 convenient gas stations: 1 Mobil & 2 Shells).
    -In all our cars combined, we put about 12k miles per year, so looking to save money on fuel won't make an appreciable difference, but I do shop at the ones that are cheaper, which makes the difference in cost even less.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/is-cheap-gas-bad-for-your-car.html

https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

FYI, Irving was not listed for quite some time as a Top Tier gas. I see that they are now listed.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    gsxr and cperez like this.
  5. cperez

cperez Full Access Member

Hmmm, sucks for me that I use Sheetz and Wawa and Love’s a lot when I am on a road trip...none are listed. But at least I get the highest octane they offer each time. And I get some delicious hoagies, 5 Hour Energy, Red Bull, and other road trip junk food!

TrinidadLR4 likes this.
  6. Quijote

Quijote Full Access Member

LOL Octane matters, yes. Also one road trip (or a few) worth of generic fuel won't do a thing. But 100k miles of it? Who knows? Not worth the chance, IMO.

cperez likes this.
  7. Troy Angrignon

Troy Angrignon Full Access Member

Should this excellent conversation move to a new thread?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cperez likes this.
  8. AGLR4

AGLR4 Member

This is what I would do, but then again I just got finished doing a head gasket job on my 2011 with 120K...

It's a lot of work but when you're done you reap the rewards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9. TrinidadLR4

TrinidadLR4 Full Access Member

I support this. Most often, my gas choices are dictated by the availability of multi-foot hoagies and touch screen ordering kiosks. Sheetz/Wawa wins every time!

cperez likes this.
  10. johnnwalters

johnnwalters Full Access Member

SwampMonster, smart move to get second opinion. Your question on what can you expect to get out of the truck after the "fix"? I've got 226,000 miles on my 2010 LR4, so maybe another 110,000 miles for you too.

BTW, the fuel being used in your vehicle all comes out of the same storage tank; it's just the tanker trucks that are different as they pick up and deliver to the dealer. What can differ is the dealer's USTs, (underground storage tanks) because they can get sediment, water, and other nasty things depending on their construction, age and maintenance. Obviously a newer station equals a newer UST so less contamination. And Chris Perez - I like Sheetz.

cperez likes this.