Bigger replacement AGM battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ndamico

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is a group 49 odyssey or northstar the biggest replacement battery that will fit in the oem location?

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't tell you if the 49 is the correct size or not, but you might want to consider buying the Sears marine platium, I believe, it will easily match up to the quality of yhr odyssey for aa lot less money.
Just a thought.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, group size 49 / H8 is larger than the stock H7 and yet still fits perfectly on the battery tray without mods. Unfortunately I don't think Sears sells a DieHard Platinum battery in that size, which would basically be a rebadged Odissey for a much better price. Sears does sell an Advanced Gold AGM in that size, but it's not made by Enersys.

ndamico

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i cant find a rebadged odyssey in that size on sears website. I have odysseys in my other trucks but was hoping to find a rebadged one...

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about the Red or Yellow top, I have duals for the last 12 years.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't found a group size 49 compatible battery among Optima's offerings, either (then again, I haven't looked in a while.) I do use a Yellowtop as secondary battery in the LR4, though. As main battery I replaced the pokey stock Varta flooded cell with an Exide Edge FP-AGML5/49 a little over a year ago, no complaints thus far.

ndamico

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you think of the dual battery setup? Sounds like install was PITA.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the peace of mind it provides now during overnight, multi-day off-road trips and its capability to easily handle refrigerators, lights, 12V chargers, dash cams and other devices, with the engine off and without fear of draining the cranking unit, the dual battery setup was well worth the hassle and expense of installing it, both of which are considerable. However, it's not going to be a useful modification to everyone, and it is no miracle cure for a failing main battery, although it could buy you some time. When my stock Varta POS died suddenly last year, my car wouldn't start, despite the auxiliary battery and fancy isolator gizmo. Whether the cranking battery would have died weeks or months earlier without "help" from the donor auxiliary battery, I guess I'll never know for sure.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I opted not to go for the second battery, as I don't really drive my truck everyday and just did not want to go through the headache of that installation. I got an ArkPak and it works well for my second battery needs.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't found a group size 49 compatible battery among Optima's offerings, either (then again, I haven't looked in a while.) I do use a Yellowtop as secondary battery in the LR4, though. As main battery I replaced the pokey stock Varta flooded cell with an Exide Edge FP-AGML5/49 a little over a year ago, no complaints thus far.
Hi Umberto,

How many miles did you have on your truck when the battery went? I am at about 12,500 (got it in May 2013), but I think the stock battery is crap. I have had no problems, but would like to consider an upgraded main battery since I run some off-road lights and the winch.

Has anyone found another group size 49 beside what Umberto mentioned? I don't care about price.

Regards, David

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM