Boat towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Strtipernut

Reaction score
With the price of gas at marine fuel docks I'd like to start towing my boat long distances (say, 200 miles) with my V8 LR3.

Here's the question: the LR3 claims a 7700 pound max towing capacity. My boat and trailer together (including the weight of the engine and fuel on board) will come in at about 7500 pounds. The trailer is a tandem axle with brakes on each wheel. Assuming the trailer is loaded properly can I use the LR3 as my primary tow vehicle?

Thanks.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pleased with my LR3's towing capability with the V8, but my boat weighs much less than yours at about 3700 lbs. I tow in mountains at altitudes from 4200 to 7500 feet above sea level, on regulatr gas with no problems, and I can maintain freeway speeds on all but the steepest passes.

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
I had no problems pulling a 7000 pd trailer with mine. It sounds like you know this already, but be aware the tongue weight max is only 500 pounds. You need to make sure you're not over. As has been discussed here, LR does not recommend a weight distributing hitch, but they have been used successfully by many of us
Cheers
Randy

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
A Reese 750 lb round bar. No complaints. It's the only one I've ever owned so I don't know any better or worse!

Cheers
Randy

gsxrgessler

Reaction score
I'm towing a tandem trailer frequently on short trips, and one or two long trips per year (500 miles plus). The LR does well, drinks fuel like it's going out of style (about 8.5 to 9.5 mpg at about 75mph...according to the carputer), and in general I am impressed with the towing. It could use more torque, thankfully this engine likes to rev a bit & seems to do well for a 4.4 liter. You'll likely be fine with the 7500# load, but watch the tongue weight (supposed to be 10% of load...rule of thumb).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge