1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultimate Towing Thread

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Robert Kinsler, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Robert Kinsler

Robert Kinsler Active Member

Team,

Thought it would be great to have a single thread with a bunch of info on towing and specifically photos of people's tow setup. Rig, length, weight, hitch used, etc.

I am installing my tow items and searching for my Travel Trailer now and will post when secured. Would love to see photos of others rigs and tow items here in the mean time.

BigBlue and Lakeray like this.
  2. Lakeray

Lakeray New Member

I'd like to follow that along.

Robert Kinsler likes this.
  3. mbw

mbw Full Access Member

Old photo, but this was my 26' Sea Ray bow rider. Dual axel trailer with hitch actuated trailer brakes. LED lights that worked, but didn't have enough current draw to trip the trailer mode on the LR4.

Weight must have been just about 7,000 lbs. I used the factory hitch setup. The second photo is the same boat/lr4 but when i added my Tactical 4x4 rear bumper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. f1racer328

f1racer328 Full Access Member

I tow around a 19' jet boat that comes in at about 4200 lbs on the trailer. Stock hitch & wiring. Tows it great, I've had 7 people in the car + more gear in the boat, and it did well with 117 degree temps.

Honestly the sketchiest part is I swear this car can outturn the trailer (going forward) and jackknife it.

5. Ryan00TJ

Ryan00TJ Active Member

Resized_20200811_112628.jpeg Resized_20200811_112628.jpeg Resized_20200811_112358.jpeg
    Our 29' Velocity. 4500lbs dry, trailer is another 1000lbs. Hyd surge brakes. Stock LR hitch setup. I tow the boat with wife's LR4 and my 5.3 Sierra. While the 5.3 V8 makes more hp and torque, it's all above 4400rpms+. The torque curve on the SCV6 is stronger at anything below 4000rpms and towing really confirms that. The Sierra has a wider track and longer wheelbase vs LR4. Boat feels more planted and less subject to steering changes with the Sierra. Stock LR4 mirrors are not wide enough. Overall the LR4 is better long tow vehicle due to comfort and power.

6. dlonesty

dlonesty Active Member

Anybody towing a horse trailer?

7. BigBlue

BigBlue New Member

will be towing an Airstream trailer when it's done being renovated. I notice that you previous posters are all using what looks like the stock side view mirrors. Anyone have any experience with the ClearView replacement towing mirrors? I was going to get them installed but my local repair shop tells me that installing them may require a program reset available to dealerships - and they can't tell whether my LR4 will require it or not, which may disable the assist functions I currently have!