Brake Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

super_poser

As you can tell I'm on a fluid changing jones. How do you change out the brake fluid? My Haynes manual says to suck out whats in the reservoir and then change it. Do you just open the bleed screws and pump the brakes like you are bleeding them? Thanks Charles

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do it by pumping brakes - make sure level in reservoir never gets lower than "min". You can suck some fluid out from reservoir to reduce time with pumping.

D

discomike

At some point below min. you'll suck air into the system and have to start over. If you want to improve your braking and the system in general change over to synthetic brake fluid, it will take more heat and moisture before failing.
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Air bubbles getting in, and then only way to get them out properly - pressure bleeding. Basically easiest way to make sure - flush brake system using bleeding screws (btw - if you pump with pedal - do not release pedal before putting screw in place. Overwise line will suck air in), then get whats left, drive to next brake shop and ask them to powerbleed it. It will cost you like 40-80$ and you can be sure that air is not in there.

C

Cozmo

Air isn't a problem. I've heard it a bunch about not dipping below minimum. I was wondering if that would release any of the Land Rover gremlins.

D

discomike

No it just increases the possibility of you running out of brake fluid in the middle of pumping up the brake pedal.
Mike J.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the great fun of hitting an air pocket in the brake lines of my first car (1983 Chevy Camaro) -- I'll never think "just a little air" is a minor thing again!

Andy

A

andyb

Disco Mike said:
If you want to improve your braking and the system in general change over to synthetic brake fluid, it will take more heat and moisture before failing.
Please don't simply replace DOT4 with Silicon brake fluid. You should replace all the brake pipes and clean out the calipers if you are changing over to silicon fluid.

Also, silicon brake fuild does not absorb water, it is hydro-phobic. This is one of the reason you should change the brake pipes as well; to ensure that there is no water or DOT4 brake fluid in the pipes.

HTH

D

discomike

Andy,
Isn't that a bit over ****. If you were to flush the system a couple of times over a weeks driving I believe you will rid the system of any H2O and not have to go for pipes and cleaning of the calipers.
Mike J.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM