Brake Pad Rattle Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed out my front rotors and pads about two weeks ago using Zimmerman and Ferrodo pads. The pads looked markedly different than what came off the truck. Large silver-colored cylinder thing on one side and thick anti-vibration pads on the backs. Upon attempting to refit, and doing everything to get the piston fully recessed, there was no way in the world these new pads were going to seat. After looking at the old pads, it seemed like it was the thin adhesive pad causing the clearance issue so I popped them off and bingo, pads in.

Fast forward two weeks and I now have brake pad rattle. It took me a while to track down but the noise appears to be the front pads rattling in position in their spring clips. So now I'm guessing I fudged up by removing those thin adhesive pads.

Naturally, I've tossed the shims, but I'd like to see if some replacement shims on the pads will fix it, or whether I'm now stuck buying another new set of pads? I'd really appreciate any input. Sort of kicking myself for rushing the install but it was getting late, wife and kids blah blah blah...but hey, she ran strong and didn't have a single hiccup on 300 miles of the East Mojave Heritage Trail!
02E36687-65A9-4984-B3AC-B62BD7327A81.jpeg

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone has a good answer. Anything I can think that would work in other situations (like putting black rubber electrical tape on the back of the bad) probably should not be used here because the pads get so hot. They sell high temp electrical tape, but I'm not sure I'd trust anything like that when it came to my brakes.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cylinder is normal and goes on the top of outer pad facing you. Not sure about the rest but pad rattles/squeaks are common enough on these, enough to make me want to do the brembo 6pot upgrade.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm OK thanks. I just double-checked and yes it's the "feet" of the pad that slot into the clips. They feet are rattling around like the retaining clip isn't squeezing them enough. Maybe I just need to get out some vice grips and have a go at it.

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be what I’m experiencing on both my LR4’s after swapping to EBC rotors and Yellow Stuff pads. I noticed that they didn’t come with the EBC shims like the ones that my LR3 kit (with Green Stuff pads). Coming back from the same trip as CRYA (though I didn’t last as long due to a tire puncture (repaired it) and sidewall blow out (could t repair) and a lack of anything A/T for 19” wheels anywhere near Las Vegas) I experienced heavy pad chatter crossing the passes in Death Valley. Had to use more engine braking.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be what I’m experiencing on both my LR4’s after swapping to EBC rotors and Yellow Stuff pads. I noticed that they didn’t come with the EBC shims like the ones that my LR3 kit (with Green Stuff pads). Coming back from the same trip as CRYA (though I didn’t last as long due to a tire puncture (repaired it) and sidewall blow out (could t repair) and a lack of anything A/T for 19” wheels anywhere near Las Vegas) I experienced heavy pad chatter crossing the passes in Death Valley. Had to use more engine braking.
Your truck is a beauty. It took me a while but I was able to sell those OE black 19" wheels to offset the price of the Compos. Just sayin'. :)
The brakes thing is annoying. I may try some new hardware to see if that helps, or else a new/different set of pads...:dontknow:

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which Ferrodo pads did you buy? That's all Ive ever put on my Disco and have had 0 issues with them... they're just as squealy as the stock pads too.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is the vehicle in question. There was a vin split on the 2010s on front brake pads. I don't know if Land Rover changed the caliper but the earlier vins called for thicker pads. The split specifies a thinner pad afterwards. I wonder if there was install issues that started that change..

Now on your retaining clips. Did you install new clips?

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is the vehicle in question. There was a vin split on the 2010s on front brake pads. I don't know if Land Rover changed the caliper but the earlier vins called for thicker pads. The split specifies a thinner pad afterwards. I wonder if there was install issues that started that change..

Now on your retaining clips. Did you install new clips?
Very interesting. I'm a '12. With the anti-vibe plate removed, the fit was still super tight, but about similar to what I recall on new pads and discs for a few other jobs I've done. I'm not an expert, but I've swapped discs and pads 2-3x. I used FERODO from RMEuropean. FDB4455 came with new clips which I lubed and installed. I might go down to NAPA and buy some $65 pads and slap them in to confirm the issue. and maybe rent a piston press device to ensure I'm fully retracted. I really don't think the pistons are frozen.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. I'm a '12. With the anti-vibe plate removed, the fit was still super tight, but about similar to what I recall on new pads and discs for a few other jobs I've done. I'm not an expert, but I've swapped discs and pads 2-3x. I used FERODO from RMEuropean. FDB4455 came with new clips which I lubed and installed. I might go down to NAPA and buy some $65 pads and slap them in to confirm the issue. and maybe rent a piston press device to ensure I'm fully retracted. I really don't think the pistons are frozen.
These are the same pads I've used before.

Is there a chance you got counterfeit pads? Ferodo has a function on their website to check. https://www.ferodo.com/support/commercial-vehicles/anti-counterfeit.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut