Brake Pad Rattle Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose anything is possible. Unfortunately I didn't keep the packaging. Some of this is def my fault for needing to get the truck up and running as quickly as possible. Should have contacted the vendor, confirmed authenticity, etc. Grrrr. At least a pad swap is easy...ish.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem - and I believe I used the same pads. I think it’s the new clips, not the pads per se. The clips I took off the car (and discarded) had a coating on one side that I think held the pads better. I remember taking those clips off and thinking - what the hell is that coating for? Then I tossed them in the trash and didn’t think twice. About two weeks later, I got the rattling. I loaded some extra grease into that clip groove and it took care of the rattle for a little while. Then FCP sent me a set of LR brand clips to try, hoping they would have that rubber coating. They don’t - look identical to the other replacement clips.

I just ignore it - haven’t had the motivation to mess with it again.

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, the EBC clips and shim that came with my Green Stuff pads work great, I’ve never had a rattle issue like I do with the Yellow Stuff pads that didn’t come with the clips and shim. Need to find a couple sets.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a lot of goop lol
Lol I know!! I was experimenting to see if slopping it in there would quiet it down. Negative. There’s something wrong obviously. I’ll have to just try new clips and pads and see. Stupid annoying problem. Oh yeah and my solar panel came up in two spots, front and back, towards end of the trip too! So more goop in there as well.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that’s called pad knock back. It happens with OEM calipers with the combination of aftermarket pads. I have no idea why it occurs with different brands. I’m sure people use ferrodo pads with no issues and some have knock back like yourself. I had the same issue with yellowstuff EBC pads. I honestly drove it like that until they wore down. Then i slapped in orange stuff ebc pads and ebc rotors and that symptom is completely gone. No explanation honestly. As the article states, it has nothing to do with your pads/calipers. Its the combination of the pads, and rotors i guess thats currently on your truck.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that’s called pad knock back. It happens with OEM calipers with the combination of aftermarket pads. I have no idea why it occurs with different brands. I’m sure people use ferrodo pads with no issues and some have knock back like yourself. I had the same issue with yellowstuff EBC pads. I honestly drove it like that until they wore down. Then i slapped in orange stuff ebc pads and ebc rotors and that symptom is completely gone. No explanation honestly. As the article states, it has nothing to do with your pads/calipers. Its the combination of the pads, and rotors i guess thats currently on your truck.

Woah great find. NASA has good stuff. What to do about it remains a
conundrum. I mean, I drive with my window down a lot and the rattle is so unbecoming of the LR4 ☹️

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not talking about pad knock-back. That has to do with the amount of piston retraction and gives the symptom of different brake pedal travel. My pads simply rattle a bit going over bumps. The pad ears are just loose in the grooves, just like CRYA posted above, because the anti-rattle clips are not tight enough against the pad ears. I think it has to do with the amount of bend in the clip vs the shape of the pad ears. Brakes feel completely normal - no variation in the amount of pedal or anything like that. Just a light metallic rattle when not pressing the pedal and going over bumps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV