Brake Rotor Alternatives for the LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buybrakes

Reaction score
Reading through the replies to my earlier brake pad post regarding searching for alternatives to OEM compounds, it sounds like many LR4 owners are actually struggling with the limited life of the OEM LandRover rotors more so than the pads. A few alternatives for 2010 and 2011 LandRover OEM rotors are listed below.

My highest recommendation goes to the Premium Cryo treated rotors. As many of you know, brake rotors (and other metal items) that go through a Cryogenic treating process actually gain in tensile strength and abrasive wear resistance resulting in brake rotor longevity. The actual atomic structure of a brake rotor changes as it goes through its 60-hour cycle by gradually getting the rotors down to 300 degrees below zero. The typical result is a doubling of rotor life and sometimes triple. Leadtime for ordering rotors going through the cryo process is 2 to 3 weeks.

Common feedback from customers posted in online forums are comments like "my brakes don't fade, don't warp and last two to four times longer. BuyBrakes.com's faith in the cryo rotors is high so we warranty them for 2 years or 48,000 miles.

Our biggest customers for the Cryo rotors are the "fleet" commercial customers that run Ford F250 Super Duty trucks or the "pursuit" vehicles like the Ford Crown Vics. They tend to like them because warping becomes a non-issue and they'll save install labor 3 times over an OEM replacement set. I don't think the OEMs warranty their rotors, but perhaps BMW and a select few others might on new vehicles.

The LR4 stock front rotors are huge at 360mm diameter and 29.99mm thick. They are heavy too at 26.45 pounds.

Here is what I've been able to find out on cost for our replacement LR4 rotors in the various styles that are available:
120-22009 Plain Premium Replacement Rotor Front $108.00 ea.
120-22010 Plain Premium Replacement Rotor Rear $94.00 ea.
127-22009 L&R Premium Slotted & Drilled $214.00 ea.
120-22009cry Premium Cryo treated Front rotors $142.00 ea (best overall choice and value)
120-22010cry Premium Cryo treated Rear Rotors $122.00 ea (best overall choice and value)
127-22009cry L&R Premium Slotted & Drilled Cryo treated Front Rotors $259.ea (choose when running oversize wheels)
The rear rotor pricing seems to be about $10 to $15 each less per rotor for each style.

To find these rotors within Buybrakes site, just search for "lr4" in the site's search box. There is a coupon code link right on the top of the front page of the site if that helps.

Hope that helps, PM me for any further help, pricing or advice

buybrakes

Reaction score
For the next few months, OEM pads are the only choice. Check again March 2011.

Last edited:

buybrakes

Reaction score
LR4 Brake pads [edited] previous pads to be correct reply.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome information. It looks like i have a brake upgrade in my future.

Rob

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slotted and drilled I assume primarily improves rotor cooling......what affect would it have on pad life......

buybrakes

Reaction score
Drilling or slotting discs aids the disc in several ways:

The edges of the slots or holes continuously clean and refresh the pad surface as well as providing increased brake "bite". Additionally, they prevent gasses from collecting between the pad and disc interface.

Improved ventilation increases the disc's ability to shed heat, resulting in cooler operating temperatures.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM