:-( broke my rear windshield :-(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LndRvr_LR4

Reaction score
Probably the most painful moment ever in my vehicle ownership history. As I was backing into my garage, I broke the rear windshield as I got too close to a low hanging loft. Note to self: heed the warning beeps, and do not rely on a wet camera lens or your own over confidence in your vision.

It's too late in the day to call the Service Center. I thought I'd reach out here to take your opinions and guidance on how I should go about replacing the windshield, and to ask if any one has had experience replacing their rear windshield. My LR4 is a new one, bought 11/10/2016. I'm not sure if I can drive it in this state to the service center - it's almost fully shattered with a few bits of glass hanging around the inner edges of the frame.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure it will be fine as I think replacing the rear windshield should be a lot simpler and less complicated than doing the front one. And the fronts are done and replaced by workshops all the time. Call someone like Safelite Repair and see what they say to just get an idea. I just checked their site and they have a "Rear Windshield" section as menu button on their home page:

https://www.safelite.com/rear-windshield-replacement

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't be too bad. I once closed the rear glass hatch on my old RX-7 and watched the entire window turn into tiny pieces. I also took out the rear window on my old allroad when using a **** trimmer nearby. The hardest part will be vacuuming up all the tiny pieces of tempered glass.

LndRvr_LR4

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses - I scheduled a repair service at Safelite. I'll vacuum the interiors to the best of my ability.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beware of substandard quality at Safelite if you don't specify the glass manufacturer.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure it will be fine as I think replacing the rear windshield should be a lot simpler and less complicated than doing the front one. And the fronts are done and replaced by workshops all the time. Call someone like Safelite Repair and see what they say to just get an idea. I just checked their site and they have a "Rear Windshield" section as menu button on their home page:

https://www.safelite.com/rear-windshield-replacement

DO NOT USE SAFELITE.
Took them two windshields to finally admit they had no idea what they were doing. In this case anyways.
I ended up bringing it to the dealer, so they could have their local glass company perform the installation correctly.

The glass is very sensitive to proper alignment on the Land Rovers, apparently.

I have no experience with the rear glass, but I am sure it is not nearly as difficult, or as sensitive to proper installation as the front.

mikem

Reaction score
Hi There.

Re: safelite.
Safelite uses OEE by default, but I believe you can ask for OEM.

I had to replace the rear glass after the vehicle was broken into. I went to my dealer who referred me to a shop who did their glass work. I asked for OEM glass after reading about OEM vs OEE. I came across a few posts about quality issues (i.e glass cracking again) and w/ color matching (i.e. tint colors). OEM glass is more expensive and it may take a little longer to get in stock for the repair. Insurance paid for the glass but not without a few back-and-forth phone calls about which glass I wanted. That said, looks great and the guys did quick work installing it once it arrived.

Love the way it looks and you couldn't tell anything happened.

Mike

p.s. have fun vacuuming that glass. I was still finding bits for weeks afterwards.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call your insurance even if you do the repair out of pocket to get it done soon. I suspect safelite will tell you that, though. They work with most companies.

I had to repair a big piece recently and learned that all glass is considered no-fault, even if you do something stupid. Covered less you deductable and unlikely to affect your premium.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely get the factory glass. For windscreen in harsh environment where they crack every other year, maybe save the $ but you'll never do that again to the hatch window ;)

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to repair a big piece recently and learned that all glass is considered no-fault, even if you do something stupid. Covered less you deductable and unlikely to affect your premium.

IIRC, this varies state by state depending on law. I believe FL is a no fault no deductible for windshields.

http://www.carwindshields.info/no-deductible-windshield-replacement

Federal regulations set by the U.S. Department of Transportation state the minimum requirements for windshield conditions and visibility in the country and require each state to enforce the obligations.
Free windshield replacement laws are tied into state insurance laws, which are set by individual states. If you live in a state that has specific insurance requirements related to auto glass replacement, your insurance company may be required to pay for your windshield repair or replacement in full — even if you have a deductible.

The following states have insurance laws that specifically address windshield replacement or repair:

• Kentucky — A “zero deductible” state when it comes to windshield replacement and auto glass replacement.
  • Florida — Florida also requires insurers to waive the deductible on windshield claims (but not necessarily on other auto glass).
  • Arizona — In Arizona, from Avondale, Peoria, Scottsdale, and Tempe to Chandler, Flagstaff, Gilbert, Glendale, Phoenix, Surprise, Tucson, Mesa, and beyond, you have the option of purchasing a separate auto glass endorsement or waiver when you purchase auto insurance. If you have such an endorsement or waiver, you will not need to pay your full deductible when you have your windshield replaced.
  • Massachusetts — Massachusetts is frequently cited as a “zero deductible” state, but that’s a bit of a misnomer in this case. You may have friends in Worcester who paid nothing while another friend in Springfield and your coworker in Lowell, Massachusetts had to pay a $100 deductible. The reason for varying rates has to do with the option to get a separate auto glass deductible on your policy. Whether you live in Cambridge, New Bedford, or Brockton, the choice you make when purchasing your auto insurance policy will impact whether or not you get a free windshield replacement as part of your insurance claim. In Massachusetts, you have the option to purchase a comprehensive policy with free windshield repair and replacement or a policy with a $100 windshield deductible.
  • New York — In New York, insurance companies can offer policies that do not have a deductible for auto glass replacement.
  • South Carolina — Another “zero deductible” state for windshield and auto glass replacement claims. Whether you live in Columbia, Charleston, North Charleston, Rock Hill, Greenville, Summerville, or Sumter — or anywhere else in South Carolina for that matter, if you have comprehensive auto insurance and a damaged windshield, you will likely qualify for a free windshield replacement.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9