"Bucking" during acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Conley

Reaction score
Noticing that the truck feels like it's bucking (or rocking back-and-forth) when I hit the gas to merge at high speed, specifically from a dead stop. It's accentuated when going uphill from the usual spot I use to get on the main highway in my town and eventually evens-out. Not sure if it's the trans or fuel pump or what but has anyone experienced this? It's a used 2012 LR4 with 86k, I have a 6-month warranty from the dealer that covers powertrain and wheels so thinking I'm going to bring it on to have them give it a once-over.

xrp86

Reaction score
I’m getting a similar **** at a Med/Hard acceleration from stop. It started after I changed the transmission oil.
186,000mils

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you have the right fluid level. Truck has to be running when you fill the trans fluid. Warm it up slightly and fill till it is dripping a couple times a second.

Michael Conley

Reaction score
make sure you have the right fluid level. Truck has to be running when you fill the trans fluid. Warm it up slightly and fill till it is dripping a couple times a second.

Hey mbw, what do you mean by "dripping"? Should I consider that I have leak in the trans fluid lines somewhere?

Thanks

xrp86

Reaction score

took it to a transmission shop, and he mentions the same thing, fluid level. low or high can cause issues. the shop that changed my fluids was a general Machanic. Last time I do that again.

Michael Conley

Reaction score
took it to a transmission shop, and he mentions the same thing, fluid level. low or high can cause issues. the shop that changed my fluids was a general Machanic. Last time I do that again.

Thanks, I'll check the levels a little later on today to make sure

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey mbw, what do you mean by "dripping"? Should I consider that I have leak in the trans fluid lines somewhere?

Thanks

when filling the fluid, in the fill hole/bolt. Engine running, let it warm a bit, shift through D/R/N/P (without moving the vehicle)... then get back under while engine is still running, fill it up until it starts dripping out... not a constant stream, but a moderate speed drip. Then put the fill bolt back in. Careful not to burn yourself on the catalytic converter.

Let it cool and clean everything up good. Keep an eye on it for leaks.

Michael Conley

Reaction score
when filling the fluid, in the fill hole/bolt. Engine running, let it warm a bit, shift through D/R/N/P (without moving the vehicle)... then get back under while engine is still running, fill it up until it starts dripping out... not a constant stream, but a moderate speed drip. Then put the fill bolt back in. Careful not to burn yourself on the catalytic converter.

Let it cool and clean everything up good. Keep an eye on it for leaks.

Thanks mbw, make sense now. Appreciate the help!

dlonesty

Reaction score
Asked dealer to check and was old pa meeds o be removed to check

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Asked dealer to check and was old pa meeds o be removed to check

Ya, you can only check by using roughly the same procedure. You have to warm it up a little, crack the fill bolt and check the fluid drip. No dipstick or anything.

I have serious distrust of dealers and even mechanics. Very few seem to care about details and very few seem to lookup the specific procedures and just cowboy everything.

The senior/master level techs that I know really know this stuff, but they aren't the ones doing fluid jobs. They give those to the new kid doing oil changes and other lame jobs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut