Bushing Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you also going to replace the upper control arm bushings?

gmfain

Reaction score
I did not plan on changing the upper control arm bushings. After checking all the bushings. The Larger Lower rear bushing is the only one bad. I decided to replace both lower because I will have the control arm off. And if after close inspection of the ball joint. If it just even looks funny, I will replace it too.

Mitchell

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This could be one of the best threads in a while. One thing many of us LR3 / D3 owners have in common is worn bushings. What I've heard is the US LR3 / D3 was built with softer bushings for a better ride. They wear out too fast. Please take pictures during your replacement, if it's not too difficult maybe more forum members will try to take the plunge and replace them as well.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the lower rears two weeks ago on mine. I simply removed the arm and cut through the bushing to break the outer steel band (Sawzall worked great for me). Once I did that I pushed the old bushings out with my hands.... I then started the new bushing and pulled it together with a bolt and two pieces of plate steel. No special tool needed. After getting it out and paying real close attention to the upper arms, I relized that both upper bushings were failing on the passenger side as well. (The lower rears solved the clunk). The upper control arm is only $90 complete so I just ordered the complete arm for that one. Should be in in a week and I'll take it apart for that one next.
Ryan
05 V8SE 51k miles

**Just to clarify by lower rear I mean the FRONT A-arm lower rear bushing

Last edited:

gmfain

Reaction score
I just did the lower rears two weeks ago on mine. I simply removed the arm and cut through the bushing to break the outer steel band (Sawzall worked great for me). Once I did that I pushed the old bushings out with my hands.... I then started the new bushing and pulled it together with a bolt and two pieces of plate steel. No special tool needed. After getting it out and paying real close attention to the upper arms, I relized that both upper bushings were failing on the passenger side as well. (The lower rears solved the clunk). The upper control arm is only $90 complete so I just ordered the complete arm for that one. Should be in in a week and I'll take it apart for that one next.
Ryan
05 V8SE 51k miles

Sweet! I knew all those "Special Tools" would not be needed! I did not want to Blast that out to the Forum until I confirmed that. Sounds like you confirmed it. I will take photos and try and document what I do too. maybe we can collaborate on a "How to"

Also I agree with jjvd21, this could be a nice thread for the bushing problem.

Mitchell

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is looking to be a promising thread. I like to DIY and have a feeling I'll be replacing my bushings soon.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only advise I have is if you cut through the steel collar of the bushing don't go too far and cut into the control arm. That wouldn't be good.
Ryan

gmfain

Reaction score
The only advise I have is if you cut through the steel collar of the bushing don't go too far and cut into the control arm. That wouldn't be good.
Ryan

Good point!

I was unable to start the repair this evening. My Brother In Law's Nissan truck lost an Alternator. So we repaired it instead! Tomorrow night the disassemble begins!

Mitchell

>>tommithy>> I hope to take some nice photo's to go alpng with the DIY....

gmfain

Reaction score
Update:

I finished the bushing repair Saturday night. It was a success. No more clunking! Give me a few days to assemble all the data and pics..... I would like a volunteer or volunteers to proof read my procedures before I post them.... :proud:

Thanks,
Mitchell

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can have an LR Mechanic who is a member of my club read it over if you'd like.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99