Buy or not Buy 2012 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

It's going to be a touch decision.
I live in Columbus Ohio so there is a Land Rover Dealership here.

Comparing the Jeep and the LR4--both are very similar in gas mileage. I think both are probably similar in off road capability with maybe the Jeep being a bit more rugged.
I've test driven the LR4's and for the size---it rides impeccably well and has go get up and go. It literally was so smooth of a ride. That is a big difference in the jeep. the Jeep also seems to buck the wind a lot more (due to contour i'm sure) where the LR4 sort of glided along.

This would be a 2nd car for me. I have a bmw X6 as well. So i keep the mileage down to some degree as I have 2 cars to spread the hurt.

Can someone explain the warranty to me. For any issue, it's covered for the first 50K miles? i.e., electrical, or seat problems, or USB problems???

Yes any issues bumper to bumper are covered.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes any issues bumper to bumper are covered.

Agreed.

We had some of the same decision issues in our household as well. We looked at just about everything else in the market.

My wife was looking more at the Yukon Denali. By the time I got the options I wanted included, the price was around $8k over the LR4.

In the end we got the 11 LR4. I've got about 7K miles on it and really couldn't be happier. No issues so far.

So here's the thing, after 7K miles do I have any regrets? Absolutely not. I may have got lucky with the lack of issues but even today I go out to the driveway and still ask myself how I got so lucky.

Is the jeep more "rugged"? I seriously doubt it. I've driven it in a blizzard where CALTRANS was turning every other vehicle away and put it through some serious mud that I was convoked it would get stuck in.

I don't have any solid evidence regarding the jeep products of late but I will say that it's my opinion that they've been having some issues. If you are considering a jeep product this year, I would run a few searches for reviews.

You've already driven it so you probably know you won't be happy in anything else... :)

Good hunting my friend and hope you reach the same conclusion I did.

Marty

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
I'd say that the Wrangler and Land Rover share a similar level of reliability.

The LR4 can accommodate 7 passengers, which is a mandatory feature for many of us LR4 owners.
The LR4 has a nicer ride than the Jeep.
The LR4 is much more luxurious than the Jeep.
The LR4 is much better looking than the Jeep.

If I were picking a vehicle for the sake of adventure, I'd pick the Jeep without question. Before you all accuse me of blasphemy, let me explain.

First, the Jeep costs half as much as the LR4, so if you scratch or dent it, you'll care half as much.
The Jeep has a removable top, which is fun. :smile:
The Jeep has solid axles. I can lift the truck/modify the suspension to my heart's content. I can make a Jeep that will go places that no LR4 will ever see. Without coming close to the LR4 price tag.
I can put real off-road tires on a Jeep and actually air them down.
The Jeep has hundreds of aftermarket accessories available. Winch bumpers, cargo racks galore, all sorts of undercarriage armor. Dana axles, locking differentials front and rear. Light bars, off-road lighting of any flavor. It's pretty capable out of the showroom, but I can tailor the capability to my needs. With a Jeep, you just have more choice.
The Jeep is much simpler than the LR4. You've all heard me drone on about this before. Complexity is the enemy of reliability. The Jeep can be made into an expedition vehicle. The LR4 can't. Too much wire. Too many gizmos. Too much software. Independent suspension. Air springs. Driving "modes". It's the antithesis of the K.I.S.S. principle. For ski resorts and fire roads the LR4 is superb. But to really go somewhere off the beaten path, and get back again, it's got to be the Jeep.

So my advice to anthonysmith101 is to enjoy the hell out of that Jeep. Land Rover's not going anywhere. Do all the things in the Jeep that you won't be able to do with an LR4. Meanwhile, pine away for the luxury, ride, and sophistication of the LR4, and in a few years trade the Jeep in on Land Rover's current most appealing offering.

Reaction score
I'd say that the Wrangler and Land Rover share a similar level of reliability.

The LR4 can accommodate 7 passengers, which is a mandatory feature for many of us LR4 owners.

If I were picking a vehicle for the sake of adventure, I'd pick the Jeep without question. Before you all accuse me of blasphemy, let me explain.

First, the Jeep costs half as much as the LR4, so if you scratch or dent it, you'll care half as much.
The Jeep has solid axles. I can lift the truck/modify the suspension to my heart's content. I can make a Jeep that will go places that no LR4 will ever see. Without coming close to the LR4 price tag.
The Jeep has hundreds of aftermarket accessories available. Winch bumpers, cargo racks galore, all sorts of undercarriage armor. Dana axles, locking differentials front and rear. Light bars, off-road lighting of any flavor. It's pretty capable out of the showroom, but I can tailor the capability to my needs. With a Jeep, you just have more choice.
The Jeep is much simpler than the LR4. You've all heard me drone on about this before. Complexity is the enemy of reliability. The Jeep can be made into an expedition vehicle. The LR4 can't. Too much wire. Too many gizmos. Too much software. Independent suspension. Air springs. Driving "modes". It's the antithesis of the K.I.S.S. principle. For ski resorts and fire roads the LR4 is superb. But to really go somewhere off the beaten path, and get back again, it's got to be the Jeep.

So my advice to anthonysmith101 is to enjoy the hell out of that Jeep. Land Rover's not going anywhere. Do all the things in the Jeep that you won't be able to do with an LR4. Meanwhile, pine away for the luxury, ride, and sophistication of the LR4, and in a few years trade the Jeep in on Land Rover's current most appealing offering.

I truly appreciate this post. Thanks so much for taking time to explain! Very interesting take and i think i agree with you!

72offsuit

Reaction score
quote=CaptainSpalding;120298]I'd say that the Wrangler and Land Rover share a similar level of reliability.

So my advice to anthonysmith101 is to enjoy the hell out of that Jeep. Land Rover's not going anywhere. Do all the things in the Jeep that you won't be able to do with an LR4. Meanwhile, pine away for the luxury, ride, and sophistication of the LR4, and in a few years trade the Jeep in on Land Rover's current most appealing offering.[/quote]

Just bought 2012 Lux, should arrive this week. May do some beach driving or logging roads but no serious offroading. Did plenty of that in this:

DSC_7581_JH1_2.jpg

Listen to the Captain go enjoy, then when your old like me go buy an LR4 and cruise, lol. My Jeep adventures are some of my best memories. Best of luck whatever you decide.

72offsuit

Reaction score
Listen to the Captain, go thrash that Jeep. Just bought a Lux due in this week, doubt I will do much more than drive on the beach once in a while. But I used to take my Jeep all over the place. Go enjoy while you are young then when you are old like me, cruise down the road in an LR4 or whatever suits. Best of luck whatever you decide. One of many trips below:

DSC_7581_JH1_2.jpg

72offsuit

Reaction score
Listen to the Captain, take your Jeep on as many off-road adventures as you can, then when your old like me buy an LR4 or whatever suits you at the time. I went all over the place in my Jeep

DSC_7581_JH1_2.jpg

and had the time of my life. My 2012 LR4 Lux should arrive this week or next and I doubt I will ever off-road it maybe a beach drive and some snow bashing at best. Best of luck whatever you decide.

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
My 2012 LR4 Lux should arrive this week or next and I doubt I will ever off-road it maybe a beach drive and some snow bashing at best. Best of luck whatever you decide.

What color did you order! How long ago did u place it?

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99