Buy or not Buy 2012 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just got a 2012 Jeep Wrangler--Sahara.
I've fallen back in love with the LR4.
Looking at trading in my jeep already (i know i know) for the LR4.

is it worth it?

I will lose about 7-8K by doing so.

What do you think?

Is the LR4 reliable enough to make that leap or just stay with my new Jeep???

a517458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep as one night stand, land rover as marriage.

With that kind of wife, don't even think will look for ONS.....

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR4 never left me stranded or fearful that I coudn't start it up and drive it anywhere. Is it 100% reliable? If you throw some minor electrical gremlins out that are part of secondary systems, yes. But if you want everything to work 100% of the time, then no. I only had a few minor issues with mine but none of them would have ever given me second thoughts about traveling in it or having it as my only vehicle.

Rob

jlrogers

Reaction score
As always, this really comes down to your personal choice, financial situation, etc.

I've been battling my wife over this same choice (Wangler vs LR4) for the past several months. In the end we decided to order an LR4 (2 days ago). For us the decision was pretty easy. We have 2 young kids so the LR4 was a better choice for us (at least that's what my wife keeps telling me).

Given that you already own the 2112 Jeep, the loss you're going to take on the Jeep might be too much to swallow. Look at it this way, is the LR4 worth $57K + the $7K you're going to lose on the jeep?

IMHO everyone should own a Wrangler at one time in their life. I had one for 2 years and I have more memories in it than any other vehicle I've owned. Keep the Jeep, take the top off (and leave it off) and enjoy it. Keep a pullover and a hat stuffed under the seats (make sure you have a stash for passengers) and after a couple of years sell it and get the LR4.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey anthonysmith101,

I have never owned a Jeep, so it's hard for me to compare the two vehicles. I do have friends in New Hampshire who swear by their Jeeps (they have a Commander and Wrangler - both a couple years old), but I know they had a lot of problems with the Commander. I know the new Wrangers are four-door and very SUV-like in many ways, but I think they are still a very different vehicle from the LR4.

I think we have heard our share of LR4 issues, but overall, there are a lot of people who have had no problems and are extremely happy with the vehicle. There are some quirks to them at times, but nothing I would consider unreliable. Since this is an LR4 technical forum, we tend to hear a lot of the issues and problems.

If I were in your situation, I would definitely consider the option. One big question you may want to consider is how far away the nearest Land Rover dealership is located. You have the 50,000 mile warranty, but it gets really tough for people to send their LR4 to the shop if they live hundreds of miles away, especially if there is a major issue.

Personally, I'd say go with your gut... If you can take the hit financially, then the LR4 is definitely an awesome vehicle all around. I'd say drive one and then go with your instincts!

Best of luck - keep us posted!!!

-David

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
As always, this really comes down to your personal choice, financial situation, etc.

I've been battling my wife over this same choice (Wangler vs LR4) for the past several months. In the end we decided to order an LR4 (2 days ago). For us the decision was pretty easy. We have 2 young kids so the LR4 was a better choice for us (at least that's what my wife keeps telling me).

I am in a similar situation. Wife, 2 young kids. I am leaning away from the LR4 to something more practical and less "flashy" (I am in the Detroit area, where the economy has been hit hard by the recession, so I tend to think about things like the image of me pulling into the driveway with a brand new Land Rover) and with better supportability and availability, but my wife pretty much wants the LR4. She says the right things about how she'd be perfectly happy with other choices like the new Ford Explorer, but I think deep down she won't be truly happy until there's an LR4 in the driveway.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a 2012 Jeep Wrangler--Sahara.
I've fallen back in love with the LR4.
Looking at trading in my jeep already (i know i know) for the LR4.

is it worth it?

I will lose about 7-8K by doing so.

What do you think?

Is the LR4 reliable enough to make that leap or just stay with my new Jeep???

If you can take the hit, go for the LR4. You will not regret it. It all depends on your financial situation.

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

It's going to be a touch decision.
I live in Columbus Ohio so there is a Land Rover Dealership here.

Comparing the Jeep and the LR4--both are very similar in gas mileage. I think both are probably similar in off road capability with maybe the Jeep being a bit more rugged.
I've test driven the LR4's and for the size---it rides impeccably well and has go get up and go. It literally was so smooth of a ride. That is a big difference in the jeep. the Jeep also seems to buck the wind a lot more (due to contour i'm sure) where the LR4 sort of glided along.

This would be a 2nd car for me. I have a bmw X6 as well. So i keep the mileage down to some degree as I have 2 cars to spread the hurt.

Can someone explain the warranty to me. For any issue, it's covered for the first 50K miles? i.e., electrical, or seat problems, or USB problems???

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99