buying a used Land Rover......questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rubicon

Reaction score
I am looking at several used Discoveries. They average around 85k miles. Are there any specific things that I need to look at to ensure that it has been taken care of?

Thanks..

we just bought an 03 for my wife and we love it. now I want one!!!

Kestreljr

Reaction score
A very open ended question- but I will give it a shot. I would not buy a LR without taking the truck to be inspected, and or printing out LR 144 checklist and going through it. (go to LR.com and then pre-owned) To start- Rev the engine in Neutral and look for black smoke- the more the worse it is. Also, look around the end of the exhaust for lots of black carbon, another bad sign.
Check for crusie control working, and power steering leaks too. I would care less about the millage and more about the service records. IMO I would take a Disco with complete service history at 100K over a Disco with no records at 75K.

Lots I could write but that is a start.

F

fbrems

With 85k Miles, probably most parts which are common to fail are already replaced, unless it is on of the reasons the current owner is selling it. On a D1 you could be in for a water pump, a fuel pump, distribution cables, overhaul the steering pump, black smoke is an issue (could be the injectors or injection pump) but white smoke (after engine warm-up) means it is consuming your cooling water and that is engine overhaul. Most common defects are not as bad (windows do not open, not interlocking, dead battery, oil leaking at every joint) Verify the gear box, shifting problems occur sometimes when engine is cold at early stage and that means $$$$
D2 types are more electronically sensitive, which is bad as you have to count to much on your dealer or a good alternative.

A full diagnostic Test by the dealer or independent test center is worth the money before buying any car or truck.

Kestreljr

Reaction score
fbrems said:
but white smoke (after engine warm-up) means it is consuming your cooling water and that is engine overhaul.
Yikes! will the white smoke be as obvious as the black smoke? does it bellow out with a heavy fog when this happens?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep in mind a few things, first black smoke may not be a bad thing, it could just mean that the O2 sensors are going bad or that the fuel system needs cleaning.

White smoke should not be confused with condensation from the cold and if you are buring antifreeze it will be a very large cloud of white smoke and is not normal and yes you will see this very easily if it were to happen.

In 20 years of driving and having bought and sold 60 something vehicles I have only had one that was buring antifreeze and I knew it when I bought it for $50 and was hoping it was just a head gasket... but it was a cracked head, so I sold the car to the junk yard for the same $50.

Most things on Land Rovers are cosmetic, engine knocking or heavy vibration issues at all speeds or loud clicking noise are issues.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
speaking of loud clicking noises....had mine diagnosed as a cracked flywheel? in the trans. Before then, was told it was a loose piston wrist pin. Has anyone dealt with this before? Bad thing is that the torque convertor was replaced just 500 miles ago, but it is already past the 6 month warranty they gave me.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like someone over tightened some bolts. To bad that will be almost impossible to prove.

If you had the work done at a rover dealer they may still help out. It never hurts to ask.

rubicon

Reaction score
thanks guys. the car is cosmetically in great shape. I did see some oil on the pavement underneath it. the guy said that he has never seen a land rover that didn't leak oil? this is a mom/pop used car lot by the way. do land rover dealers do checks on vehciles that people are looking to buy?

S

shark49

unless you are ready to possible drop 2 to 5k within a year on the car run away!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9