Buying LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justus4all123

Reaction score
Hello all!
I’ve been shopping for an lr3 for awhile and I am interested in a couple but this one has me wondering.
From what I’ve researched, a simple fault can cause a ripple of engine codes and system errors.
The owner says it runs as normal, minus the systems unusable due to the errors.
It’s been loved and is in good shape cosmetically. I’m pretty mechanically savvy and don’t mind diving in for a fix but not having owned a Land Rover before I’m a little hesitant and excited. Would you owners out there look at this and run or think it’s a simple fix?

Attachments

• 98416BFD-5E1A-4237-BA32-5BE3D8A0A828.png
    98416BFD-5E1A-4237-BA32-5BE3D8A0A828.png
    231 KB · Views: 51

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I will let the more knowledgeable respond, but from my experience with 2 LR4's:

Whomever wrote that posting has little to no knowledge of Rovers and probably has no idea what "normal" is.

It is true that multiple error codes can result from one issue, but:
HDC is hill descent. It works the brakes when going downhill off roading (and it works great!), but a error could mean brake problems with the actuators and or the computer.
Error code could also mean it has had a hard life.
Special Programs, from a quick search of other postings, is the suspension and may indicate that the compressor and or shocks, and or the valves are not happy.
Cruise Control Not permitted may be the clockspring in the steering column

At 167K I would bet that the transmission fluid, and probably the coolant have never been changed, who knows about how often the oil has been changed. (especially with 6 owners)
All of which are issues.
If you can get a title report you can find out if that's actually 6 owners or it has been owned by several dealerships as well along the way.
6 actual owners would concern me.

Look at the tow points at the rear - that's the main cluster in the middle and the two slots in the frame on either side.
Any damage shows abuse.
Look at the skid plates and at the bottom of the engine compartment - look for evidence of water as evidenced by rust or particulate/dirt/mud in places is should not be.
If it's been mudding that's very hard to get totally clean, and could indicate a hard life.
Raise and lower the suspension (foot off the brake), should raise from access to normal in 5 or so seconds, and same to off road height.
If it creaks, it has not been used enough (problem), if it's slow it may have been used alot (problem).
if slower then needs (or will need) a compressor, if it doesn't work at all, then any of the above, probably starting with the compressor.
Drive it slowly with wheels turned at/near the locks, if it's even a tiny bit jerky (and not glass smooth) then it's a transfer case problem
Drive is 1-2 mph then brake hard. A clunk means lower control arm bushings (I am doing that right now on the 2013).
Then there are all the cooling system issues at that mileage.
Timing chain tensioners? I'm not sure about 2005, but that's a catastrophic failure or an expensive preventive maintenance issue.

Sounds like a project vehicle.
Depending on how much you want to correct, and how deep into preventive maintenance you want to go I could easily see $10-15K in the reasonably near future if you do the work yourself.
In my experience my LR4's are (in general) easy to work on yourself.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When buying a used vehicle you are buying the owner. In this case the owner has owned this rig for only 7k miles. Who knows about the other 5. Unless this is a project vehicle . run.

mflecklr3

Reaction score
The HDC system connects the brakes and the transmission so it makes sense that you're getting faults across those 3 systems at once. I don't have any specific technical advice for you, sorry. The scariest part of that listing is "6th owner." Too many opportunities for "deferred maintenance" which is a pretty big no-no with these vehicles. For example, the transmission fluid is allegedly for the lifetime of the vehicle but lifetime is defined as 150K miles. Fluid changes on diffs and transfer case are far too far apart, if done at all. Then there are all the subtle design flaws like the front diff breather cap that need to be researched and dealt with before bad things happen. That's a very word way of saying +1 on the: "Unless this is a project vehicle . run ."

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those errors look like an A/B switch failure, likely caused by a dirty/bad brake switch or corrosion of the wire in the brake circuit under the front right (passenger in the US) door “threshold” trim (I can’t think of the proper term for some reason). There’s a junction in that wire where two wires converge into one and it’s literally just taped from the factory. Any moisture in the footwell, including the fairly common sunroof drain failure, causes it to corrode and give the A/B code.

I’ve had that issue a few times in the 4 years and 80,000 miles I’ve owned the vehicle. I’ve replaced the switch and repaired the wires twice. The first time was a quick twist and tape, but I had to go back. I ended up replacing about a foot or so of wire because it had become corroded so far up the line.

Certainly wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me, but don’t expect it to be your daily driver from day one.

If you do buy it get a Gap Diagnostics tool or something equally robust, it is a must have!

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would offer $4900 knowing you're going to spend $600 just in maintenance to get it up to ***** and/or for a diagnostic tool, and if they don't take it move on. Everyone has given you solid advice so far, for a 15 year old vehicle 6 owners doesn't scare me especially in a Landrover because, people get discouraged when they spend $1000 in repairs because they don't know how to work on it themselves and they trade for a Toyota. I do every bit of my own work although I paid Goodyear to install front air bags and my Nanocom has saved me thousands in diagnostic fees. I've said elsewhere, I have a 2019 Sequoia TRD but my daily driver is the LR3, it feels like "home". The VIN indicates its an SE with a 4.4 which is a great engine and well equipped. You can google LR3 shop manual.pdf and find the manual which is a huge help and there are several forums out there besides this one that have tons of support and help. Best of luck, keep us posted on your decision.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You lost me at 6 owners and given miles. I’d keep looking

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72