Buzzing sound when raising from low clearance to regular height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every once in a while when lifting the car from the low level setting to the normal height there is a loud buzz from the rear wheels. Recycling doesn't make it go away. It's not every time, Just occasionally.

Anything to worry about? 2016 LR4 with 3.6k mi.

I need this feature a lot cuz my wife has trouble walking and it's easier for her to get in when the LR is low down

Frank

I just went out and tried again. The buzzing is constant at all heights. I drove it a bit and it didn't go away

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is it's either the air compressor itself or the compressor rattling against something.

The compressor is located just in front of the driver side rear tire.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's where the sound is coming from. What to do? Can I live with it? My dealer is 2 1/2 hrs away.

Frank

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A compressor always makes some sound. You normally can't hear it from inside the vehicle, but when you are outside (or have the windows down) you can if you listen for it.

DaJammer

Reaction score
From my experience (8 months of ownership), I can only hear it when I am raising the vehicle either from access height to normal, or normal to off-road and only while the air bags are filling in order to reach that pre-determined height. I don't hear mine running constantly.

I haven't actually timed the fill, but would estimate that it is on for about a minute going from access to normal, and it seems to take slightly longer to go from normal to off road.

But again, in all cases, once the height has been reached, it shuts off. If mine were on all the time, I would have to think that the bag(s) have developed some sort of leak and the computerized height can't be maintained without constant filling.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my experience (8 months of ownership), I can only hear it when I am raising the vehicle either from access height to normal, or normal to off-road and only while the air bags are filling in order to reach that pre-determined height. I don't hear mine running constantly.

I haven't actually timed the fill, but would estimate that it is on for about a minute going from access to normal, and it seems to take slightly longer to go from normal to off road.

But again, in all cases, once the height has been reached, it shuts off. If mine were on all the time, I would have to think that the bag(s) have developed some sort of leak and the computerized height can't be maintained without constant filling.

When I say the compressor always makes some sound, I mean it always makes some sound when it is running. You described the instances where it is running.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also keep in mind, the compressor doesn't just run to fill the air suspension only. There is a pretty big steel air reservoir tank running the length of the passenger side along the frame. The compressor will run until that reservoir is up to X pressure. NOT just when the vehicle hits whatever height you have selected. If you are playing with the height system a lot while investigating this sound, it's perfectly normal and expected that the pump is running to adjust your changes and fill the reservoir.

What I would be worried about is if you have left it at standard setting for a short trip and it keeps running. Leave the truck at standard height for a bit. It should eventually turn off once the reservoir pressurizes.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak