buzzing under hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'99 rover 4.0
There is an electric motor pressure pump type unit connected to the brake fluid reservoir. It runs and hums (quite loud, can hear it inside the car) about 50-60% of the time. Often it will stop running after being stopped and taking my foot of the brake. Is this normal? If not, does it sound like a bad motor or a problem somewhere else in the system?

Thanks in Advance.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like an ABS motor or modulator. Not sure it is an issue or not, but my be a good idea to flush the brake system.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks joey, it looks to me like some sort of pressure building unit. the motor is a cylinder about 6-7 inches long and there is a spherical dome like unit attached that looks like it's there to build pressure. Now I know NOTHING about brakes, someone once told me that it was an interesting system because it didn't use vacuum pressure like most cars, but was more like what they had in big trucks. Does that sound right or ring any bells?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Wish I had more experience with the RR.... or at least had my newer repair manual... On its way, but still waiting.

I am thinking this is the ABS pump/motor....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635