Cannot remove old O2 sensors...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soooo....I'm trying to figure out how to get my old 02 sensors off...I cannot, for the love of God, find a wrench that fits. 11/16 is only slightly bigger but is the only one that will hold it. Anything smaller is a bit too small. These sensors are definitely not wanting to budge, because using the 11/16 only messes with the bolt, kind of stripping it. Sad times. Any suggestions? Has anyone removed 02 sensors by themselves? They have not been replaced yet and the truck has 134k on it...

Thanks!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Two ways to do this... an O2 sensor socket (found at local auto parts store) or pipe wrench.

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02 sencor socket is the best way to go. Right tool for the right job. Spent about 1 hr on it then went and got the right tool and off in about 5 min.

C

csanders

Where are the O2 sensors located and how many are there? its about time to replace mine on my 99 RR.

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I had better success with the tube wrench. These were rusted badly to the exhaust pipe, but I finally managed to get them off. Worked beautifully with the replaced 02 sensors...noticed a dramatic improvement in gas mileage...NEW PROBLEM...light came back on, code 44, and bad gas mileage =[ Everything is hooked up well, and I don't have any clue why I would have a code 44 again??!

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

So yesterday, I disconnect the negative battery lead for about an hour, came back, and the the check engine light was cleared. Knowing it would probably came back, I drove it about 110 miles PERFECTLY...i've registered the best gas mileage i've had yet (205 miles on 15 gallons of gas). I've also been having a rought idle/stalling issue with my baby, but for those 110 miles, she idle PERFECTLY. After those 110 miles, however, she started to choke, sputter, and die when she idled. Check engine light did not come on, no codes were displayed on the display. I'm trying to narrow this down. I've heard good things about cleaning the MAF sensor. Any other ideas? Please help, this is SO frusterating!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Cleaning the MAF may be the answer, and since I am not real familiar with the 93 MY I would also check the IAC and the TPS and clean them both.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM