Can't seem to be able to program homelink

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never failed at this. I am stunned. All other cars are easy. The LR4 won't program.

I hit the learn button on the opener, and then, following instructions, press & hold fro 2 secs, then release and repeat 3 times all within 30 secs of hitting the learn button. No dice.

Cleared the old memory (there should be none since it's new). Tried it with the engine running, with the engine off, nothing.

The annoying part is that there is no feedback to tell you it was successfully programmed. No rapid blinking, etc.

Any pointers?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine worked just fine following the book's instructions:

Hold the original opener about 2" away from the transceiver in the car and push both the button on the remote and the one on the transceiver at the same time. Keep holding both buttons until the LED on the transceiver changes the blinking pattern - from slow to fast - then release (this may take several seconds.)

If you have a rolling code garage opener, you are not done yet. Go to the garage motor and push whatever "Smart", "Program" or "Learn" button is there to teach the car the rolling code. Then, quickly (60 seconds or less) return to the car and press and hold the same transceiver button you just programmed for a couple seconds. Release, then press and hold again for a couple seconds. You may need to repeat a third time, but eventually the garage should close (or open) and you should be done after that.

The programmed buttons for my rolling code garages (I have 2 of them) both need to be pressed for about a second before the garage door will respond. Just touching it and letting go doesn't start the motor.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried the same thing as you did with no success. Then I followed the exact same procedure Umbertob described and it worked perfectly. I too have to press and hold the button for about a second before the garage door opens.

This is how I programmed two buttons on each of our vehicles (LR4 and RRS) for both our garage doors.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did get a confirmation signal from the garage door motor when it caught the transceiver signal from the car: the light on the motor blinks twice (as stated on the instructions on the label that's on the motor).

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it. The manual doesn't specify that the rolling code procedure is IN ADDITION to the regular one. I thought it was weird, but, hey, I was following instructions.

All set now. Thanks!

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly! I did one, then the other and after going crazy for 30 minutes I tried them both in sequence

joyce

Reaction score
thanks umbertob- followed your directions after many unsuccessful attempts and succeeded! i had an additional problem- on subsequent attempt to open/close, i was unable to, unless i was basically under the garage door motor- a little antenna adjustment fixed that!

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on how to program for a community gate (no access to a special button ont he motor)? My garage works fine...I just can't get the gate to work.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gate code of my gated community programmed just fine after completing step 1 (holding the remote 2" away from the mirror and pushing both buttons together until the blinking on the mirror changes from slow to fast), no rolling code on that clicker.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72