CB Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for a good quality CB radio? What's the best place to mount an antenna on the LR4? Just starting to look into this... I may end up just buying a handheld.

I'm new to CB radios, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't purchased a cb in a long time, but I have always had good luck with the Cobra brand (still have and use mine from ~15 years ago). Unless things have changed, you won't have much luck with a handheld inside a vehicle. At best, you will have miserable range. For the antenna, I use a small dia. magnetic mount and a short rubberized mast screwed into the base. I just run this out the tailgate as needed. makes it easy to remove for garages etc...

The Cobra I have has all the controls on the microphone, so I can hide the main unit under the seat... Works very well.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also considering a CB radio (I am the only one in my LR group that does not have one), so this is perfect timing for this thread.

HikeNbike

Reaction score
i just got the Cobra 75... mounted the small junction box under the seat (fitted with a quick connect). I have an aftermarket rear bumper and tire carrier so i mounted the antenna to the tire carrier mount.(Quick connect and with a 4' fire stick)
If you do not have a steel front or rear bumper then i really suggest just going with a magnetic temp antenna.. take it off when its not in use

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get the cobra 75 and a wire whip antenna. I've used the same for years and works great for convoy and line of sight communication.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a cobra handheld and run the magnetic antenna through the top of the drivers door. The range is mediocre. I plan on upgrading to a mobile unit eventually.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, over a month later, I now have a CB radio. I just got a very basic 40-channel Cobra CB (around $40) at a local truck stop. I am planning on using it primarily for trail riding, so I opted to keep this project on the cheap side. I bought a mag-mount for the roof, with a spring, and a 3 foot Firestik antenna.

I will attach a photo... it looks "okay" but not great in my opinion. With the whole set-up, the truck sits just under 10 feet tall. In the past, I have encountered very low branches while offroading, so I may need to exchange the Firestik for a whip-style antenna. I'm afraid the Firestik will snap off even though it is on the spring.... Or maybe I can get away with ordering a "Fold Over Adapter" to fold the back the antenna as needed? Not really sure.

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 73

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, over a month later, I now have a CB radio. I just got a very basic 40-channel Cobra CB (around $40) at a local truck stop. I am planning on using it primarily for trail riding, so I opted to keep this project on the cheap side. I bought a mag-mount for the roof, with a spring, and a 3 foot Firestik antenna.

I will attach a photo... it looks "okay" but not great in my opinion. With the whole set-up, the truck sits just under 10 feet tall. In the past, I have encountered very low branches while offroading, so I may need to exchange the Firestik for a whip-style antenna. I'm afraid the Firestik will snap off even though it is on the spring.... Or maybe I can get away with ordering a "Fold Over Adapter" to fold the back the antenna as needed? Not really sure.
Hey Brandon,

Are you going to keep that antenna up there all the time? I am considering a CB radio, but still up in the air on what to do. I would only use it when I go off roading, so I want something easy.

-David

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Brandon,

Are you going to keep that antenna up there all the time? I am considering a CB radio, but still up in the air on what to do. I would only use it when I go off roading, so I want something easy.

-David

David,

I have to fit into two very low garages on a day-to-day basis, so no. After reading online about mag-mounts, I am afraid this could damage my paint. I may have found the perfect solution.... http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-006520 .... I will give them a call tomorrow to see if it works the way I think it does. On one of the LR Forums, it looks like an LR3 guy used this mount to attach the CB antenna to his rear glass. Might even be able to mount it the lower half of the tail gate. I'll let you know what I find out.

Brandon

EDIT: Just found this one as well which looks very similar. http://www.americanradiosupply.com/comet-hd5-3-8-24-heavy-duty-trunk-lip-mount-ham-radio-antenna-bracket/

Last edited:

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To protect the paint, I have something similar to these magnetic heat register covers. Just cut out a large circle and put it on the car first and put the antenna on. Works great.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-Magnetic-Vent-Covers-MC815/100345609#.UbBxfL7D-Uk

I don't know if you can still get them, but I have two Firestik type antennas that are only ~8.5 inches long, including the threads. I have used them for years with good results. They are even tunable...

Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635