Changed my diff oil - possible rebuilt front diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the oil in the front diff, rear locking diff and transfer case. Car has just over 30k miles. A couple odd things.

1) the amount of oil in the rear locking diff is supposed to be 1.1 qts. I took out and measured 1600 ml or ~1.7qt. So I put back in 1.7 qt. I do know the owner before me did some offroading (lots of trail stripes that got both sides repainted). I wonder if the PO just put in way too much oil..... maybe I should drain some out. Any other locking diff guys have any experience with the amount in their diff?

2) there is excess sealing compound between the 2 case halves on the front diff. Is this normal? or a sign that the diff has been opened at one time. The oil in the front looked cleaner than the rear.

Here's what the front diff plug looks like:
IMG_7930.jpg

And the rear diff plug
IMG_7929.jpg

The photo of the front diff with the excess compound squeesing out of the joint.
IMG_7931.jpg

Overall nothing too out of the ordinary. Very fine particles on the plugs, just a glimmer of shavings in the oil. I'm definately going to keep up with a 30k change regime though just to be safe.

Last edited:

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the duplicate thread..........

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone has been into that front diff, for some reason. As for the magnetic mug on your magnet, pretty normal as lone as the material is very fine with no chunks.
What color were the fluid that you took out from the diffs. and t/case?

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone has been into that front diff, for some reason. As for the magnetic mug on your magnet, pretty normal as lone as the material is very fine with no chunks.
What color were the fluid that you took out from the diffs. and t/case?

Front diff was just a little bit darker than new oil, It was very clear. Weird that someone has been in it - I thought LR just simply repaced the unit rather than breaking it open. The PO leased it, so I don't think it was ever taken to anything but the dealer.

Transfer case was clear as well, probablly between the front a rear for coloring.

Rear diff was dark like it has been in there a while. But very normal looking, no burnt smell, etc.

All had normal wear shavings - nothing too big, just a fine metalic goo on the plugs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99