Check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question, to which I don't know the answer. I have not heard of anyone having to get their LR3 smogged yet. Smog tests are required in California also, but it must not apply to 2005 and newer cars...yet?

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started my car today and ...no check engine light,hhmmm ,I am not completely sold on MAF sensor nor thermostat.Never had an elevated coolant temp. and I change air filter every 7000 miles,could it be simple software glitch?

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did on my HSE

I had to get mine smog tested, but here in Davidson County (Nashville), Tennessee, the smog test on newish cars (OBDII I think)... is just a simple check to make sure the Chk Engine light is not on.. they simply look and make sure there is a cat converter, then plug into the diagnostic port, then its over. On my 1990 Saab 900 SPG.. they would do a whole revving up and down thing measuring exhaust gasses... total pain. Never passed once first time.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well seeing as I am at 77K I might as well change the thermostat. I have never had any problems and she runs like a charm. Excellent fuel mileage and runs well. I do notice a slight rough idle when it hasn't run for a day or two but other than that she is a charm. How common is it for an LR3 to have these software glitches or a need for an update?

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, Mhaise, I'm fairly confident it's the tstat and upon replacement, the check engine light should go away on its own. It will just be logged in the ECU that it was, at some point, lit for tstat issues. As far as I know, the LR3 never really "needs" an update, but updates are available. I went ahead and updated the engine and tranny software at my last service (and extra $145 dollars!!!) to cure some "california stop" tranny shifting issues. Although the issues receded a little bit, they are still apparent in some driving situations. Was it worth the cost to update it out of warranty, probably not.

ps: I noticed you're in houston too, where do you service your LR3? Do you of any good indie shops?

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you can see from the pics in my latest post I ran the hell out of it with the check engine light on. Cleaned it up changed the oil and no more check engine light. My theory about offroad therapy and a little love seems to make them happy. I also switched to Royal Purple and a K&N filter and that pesky ticking noise seemed to vanish as well. Has anyone gone with Royal purple throughout? Diffs, trans, power steering etc. I have reviewed the test results of this brand and it appears nothing comes close. They tested the oil after 15k and it the oil was still a 90%. Any thoughts?

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Despite the fact weather our CPU is obd compliant I want to local AUTO ZONE store to read my" check engine light" and reduced engine performance message.to my surprise guy plugged his scanner to LR3 port,then connected to a computer in store and read as follows:
-dirty MAF sensor
-Dirty fuel injectors
-faulty oxygen sensor
-dirty air filter
He obviously could not pin point exact problem but at least I know now where to start.

bcaese

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same check engine light problem but my vehicle drives fine.

I got it back from the dealer and they replaced the catalytic converter.
by time I got home the check engine light was back on:mad:

This is a major problem in regards to trust, luckely I'm still under warranty! Imagine if I paid!

Does anyone have any ideas? I know it can be a million things that can make the light go off but since I brought it to the dealer youthink they will know:stupid:

Now there are telling me to come back on Monday, what a fu*king hassle. should I try another dealer?

they are going to fix this before my warranty is up:argh:

Any thoughts guys????

MikeLi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the reduced performance message. I used to get it all the time it turned out to be a loose hose clamp on the intake tubing.

The LR are OBDII, I have a scanner in my LR3 now for everytime the light comes on. It shows up as codes P0171 and P 0174. It's lean conditions at both banks. It's either a bad MAF (which I cleaned already) or a small air leak somewhere pass the MAF. I have to do more probing this weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9