Check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcaese

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you think that this is the high percentage of the check engine light problem? Cause I don't think the dealer knows, they might replace a whole bunch of parts and never solve it, maybe I can send them you suggestion whenI go back on Monday.

If I can do this manually, Please! Please! reply with the instructions and I will try on the weekend or anyone else who knows how to clean the MAF.
What does MAF stand for and what is it??

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend cleaning a MAF sensor despite other opinions.this procedure usually KILLS IT.My advice,buy a new sensor (170.oo at dealers), you can get it cheaper, if you know someone that buys from them wholesale price(usually indy machanic).it is a very simple job to replace it .I recently had three codes displayed:172-system to rich bank one
174-system to lean bank two and175-system to rich again on passenger side.One of the members very knowledgeable,with 30 years of experience suggested that I start check up with O-rings on intake between MAF and air filter ,than throttle plate for dirt,throttle body, air filter and spark plugs,maybe air filter cover loose.i did all that.everything was clean except spark plugs,all black with misfire signs so I changed them all,eight of them.No more check engine light,although i received one reduced engine performance message briefly one time only after a long trip.i forgot to mansion that one more code popped off while last check engine light prior a repair- a code: po 101 which usually means MAS sensor or MAF volume air flow performance problem.So start with air intake connectors,filter ...etc

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a Mass Air Flow sensor. It has something to do with helping the computer to get the correct fuel air mix (I think). Which is amazing because if you look at it, it's pretty much just 2 metal wires in a tube. Actually the wires are heated and the amount of electricity it takes to heat them tells the computer how much air is passing. It took 3 minutes to change out on my old truck, located somewhere along the air intake. I can't say I've ever looked for it on the LR3 though. If you want to try cleaning it, use electronic contact cleaner. Don't touch the wires!

bcaese

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...
I am still on warranty, shouldn't the dealer be taking care of this??
Getting a little frustrated even though my truck is running fine. I just got fluids topped, oil change, up and everything check out as well? They should have caught something like this, if it is the problem.

I won't mess with stuff i don't know much about but think I will print these suggestions out and leave it with them.

bcaese

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could this be the reason why it may go off once a month for one day then come back on?? Is this because of the MAF??

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I have encountered .reduced engine performance message once a month for a year than a check engine light once ( month a go) and twice a two weeks after , than it started to show every day for short period of time .amber color though , no flashing, that was when i realized that it is time to fix things.out of warranty , by the way.

bcaese

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no flashing no engine performance messages just the stupid amber light as soon as I start he engine!

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have warranty why do you even bother with probing the problem with us.go to the dealer and let them fif it while you drive a loaner but if you out,try to go to local auto zone,let them read the codes for free and come back with the:hello: printed read out .

bcaese

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tired of going to the dealer been there 4 times they just replaced my cat converter and it didn't solve it. I just don't want to spending my time going back and forth to the dealer. I am trying to help them fix my truck, cause it looks like they need it.

I am in Canada we dont have AutoZones up here I wouldv'e done that a long time ago.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9