Chirping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it was colder out, my LRt3 was making a chirping noise for a few minutes upon a cold start. My Jeep was also doing the same, and it just got a new water pump and serpentine belt. So I guess my question is...what is likely to be? It's not leaking anything (the Jeep went from chirping to leaking coolant pretty quick, the LR3 has chirped since December and nothing has happened yet), so what could it be? And the 4.4 has two belts, correct?

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two belts, a small fan belt, and a larger serpentine belt.

There is a service bulletin including replacing the idler pulley above the alternator to a newer style, that prevents lateral 'walking' of the belt that causes a chirping noise on cold start. On some vehicles, it is necessary to grind down a bracket for the updated pulley to fit.

Replace both belts and the pulley, and you'll be good on that for about 100k miles.

Part number on the pulley: PQR500350

Trynian

Reaction score
The chirping happened twice so far on mine with about 92k on it. Both times it was the idler pulley in the spring mechanism. A shot of DWD40 into the spring mechanism got rid of it for a while but eventually had to replace it.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave if the Alternator gets replaced would it be common practice to replace the idler pulley as well, consistent with the service bulletin? ....or is that always gonna be triggered by a customer complaint?

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend changing that pulley whenever the belts are done (mid year 08 it was installed from the factory, and some were updated under warranty, so I check before I recommend) which I would probably recommend with doing an alternator based on mileage. However, each technician works differently, and not all are very well versed on service bulletins.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced that pulley , when I was replacing both belts.Old part is flat , whereas new pulley has lateral grooves on both sides , so it keeps belt in place without any sideway movements. Dave is right , it was a TSB on it a long time a go and it is worth replacing along with a new belts.I can assure any of you that at 80.000 miles, secondary and primary belt will show a spider web like cracks and there are worth replacing proactively, anyway.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The chirping happened twice so far on mine with about 92k on it. Both times it was the idler pulley in the spring mechanism. A shot of DWD40 into the spring mechanism got rid of it for a while but eventually had to replace it.

+1 on the idler pulley. there was a TB on them to be replaced

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo