Color Coding Plastic ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

Matt_Grim2

Once the dealer fixes my LR3 I am thinking about getting the Plastic Trim Color Matched to the Tonga Green of the Car, I have been researching it alot, I love the pictures of the Project Kahn LR3, Saw pictures of Silver one done didn't like it as much...

1)Just trying to get your guys opinion ?
2)Has anyone had it done ?
3)Anyone got Pictures ?
4)Prices ?
5)Do you think it only looks good with black ?

Echoes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matt,

I personally don't like it. I like the definition.

I have a white LR3 and if I think I painted all the plastic surfaces white, I would look like a big marshmellow:)

I would imagine it would be pricey. Years ago a buddy of mine painted his VW's plastic trim to match the car. After two years it started to spiderweb crack.

It's up to you, but I would leave it.

Last edited:
M

Matt_Grim2

I do agree w/ the white, lighter colors don't seem to look to good, I have seen a silver and didn't like it...

does anyone have pictures or links to pictures ?

J

jackmac

Matt - I have a spare L/F wheel arch molding. It was replaced (slight problem with the mounting tabs). If you want it to experiment with paint, you can have it. Just cover the shipping.

The plastic is somewhat flexible, so not sure how well paint would last, unless it is formulated for plastics or flexible surfaces.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't prepped right, the paint would chip in a day. If it was prepped right, it might last a month or so.
Either way, it's a waste of time and effort....and would look cheesy as all get out anyway.
Just my $.02

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The paint will last as long as your painted plastic bumpers... if done correctly. I'm personally not into the look.

Land Rover does sell painted wheel arch moldings in some markets, so there obviously is a market for that look. (Only in Zermatt Silver, Black, Grey & Cairns Blue.) But the rest isn't touched...

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Matt_Grim2

jackmac said:
Matt - I have a spare L/F wheel arch molding. It was replaced (slight problem with the mounting tabs). If you want it to experiment with paint, you can have it. Just cover the shipping.

The plastic is somewhat flexible, so not sure how well paint would last, unless it is formulated for plastics or flexible surfaces.

Thank you for the offer, I will think about that and get back to you because i would not be the one painting it i would have it done in a shop...

M

Matt_Grim2

roverman said:
If it wasn't prepped right, the paint would chip in a day. If it was prepped right, it might last a month or so.
Either way, it's a waste of time and effort....and would look cheesy as all get out anyway.
Just my $.02

It would last a lot longer than a month, I have been e-mailing back and forth with project kahn and SVC, both have done LR3 and w/previous RR bits painted after 3 years the paint looks just like the way it was the day it was done...

M

Matt_Grim2

grommet said:
The paint will last as long as your painted plastic bumpers... if done correctly. I'm personally not into the look.

Land Rover does sell painted wheel arch moldings in some markets, so there obviously is a market for that look. (Only in Zermatt Silver, Black, Grey & Cairns Blue.) But the rest isn't touched...

Gromment, You always seem to know what you are talking about, I know you do not car for it but i don't care for the plastic, do you think Tonga Green is a dark enough color that it would look good, because the light silver i have seen and a white and it looked awful...

Also do you know of anywhere do get pictures of it done...

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your green is pretty darn dark... I don't think it would look much different than the black ones you've seen.

Sorry, I haven't seen any shots of this done to your green... only black, silver and (ugh) white.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635