Considering an LR4. Would you buy one at 100k mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me personally, I’d only be interested in something with 100k+ on the clock if it was 1-cheap to fix or 2-for recreation use. I love my LR4 but wouldn’t pay the $15-20k that people want for one with that mileage and/or age, and it sure doesn’t qualify as cheap to fix. I like to get my used cars in the sweet spot of depreciation and value and ride them until they die. I feel like my LR4 was perfect at 4 yrs old-50k-mid $30k for a well spec’d version that was $70k+ on an equal spec’d new D5.

Now I’d be tempted on an 06/07 disco 2 or a RR that still had a good bit of that classic shape with some age and mileage as a project, but certainly not as a DD.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2011 LR4 Lux with 102,000 miles a couple months ago for $14,000 USD. I purchased it from a local private owner and it was clear he was using it to haul his family around on a regular basis. Except for needing to be detailed, it was in great condition both inside and out. The loan to collateral value was such that it was worth more than the loan (at least on paper). It turns out not to have the HD package, but I didn't even know such a thing existed at the time. Given the used car market, it was the cheapest 4x4 I could find in nice condition and without a ton of miles. Since then, I've come to understand that LR miles and miles on other vehicles aren't precisely the same thing.

I may have a little bit of cash to play with over the next six months. That leaves me with a dilemma. Do I take the cheap vehicle and enjoy it for what it is? Or, do I pump a bunch of money into it and lose that one advantage? The reason I might be willing to pump money into it is I have come to enjoy it for other reasons, not just because I could get into a capable 4x4 cheaply. Plus, it's still relatively cheap even if I pump money into it. Let's say I were to sell it for $12,000 and put that together with another $10,000, what am I going to get for $22,000? Nothing, that's what. How about another $15,000? Okay, you might be able to get a Nissan Pathfinder. That's kind of like the LR4, right? Nope.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut