coolant leaking out of head gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taytum98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, when i start up my rover, drove out and saw smoke. So i pop the hood and saw coolant dripping out the of the head gasket on the passenger side onto the exhaust. Thats were the smoke came from. I know i needed both of the heads replace, i just thought i had a little more time. I don't see any coolant in oil, coolant tank is still full. We had 4 days of snow and cold weather. I had it park for 3 of those days. How bad is it guys before i start thinking about the stealership? 99 disco 1 SD 122,000

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant

coolant leaking out of head gasket

Hi guys, when i start up my rover, drove out and saw smoke. So i pop the hood and saw coolant dripping out the of the head gasket on the passenger side onto the exhaust. Thats were the smoke came from. I know i needed both of the heads replace, i just thought i had a little more time. I don't see any coolant in oil, coolant tank is still full. We had 4 days of snow and cold weather. I had it park for 3 of those days. How bad is it guys before i start thinking about the stealership? 99 disco 1 SD 122,000

You do have options, there are independent garages and I’m sure someone on this forum probably lives close to you, and can refer one to you.

Just a good question for you though, are you sure the coolant is coming from the head gasket, and not a hose above it?

Let us know what area you are close to and maybe someone can refer an excellent mech. Near you.

Best wishes …………………Chongo
:bandit:

Taytum98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while the engine is running it looks like its dripping out the side of the head gasket, but i'm not sure. I will check in the morning and let you know. I live in Hopewell, VA off of 295....... Thanks for the response!!!!!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, don't drive it for any reason, except to get it to a good mechanic.
Second, do not have the dealer do the work unless you have $2500 plus to burn.
Call around for estimates, you should expect to pay around $1450 plus new wires and head inspection, no more.

Taytum98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
False alarm guys, it was the hose going to the heater core. The old clamp broke off, so when it was leaking that day I really couldn't tell where it was leaking because of all the smoke. Put a new clamp on and leak has stop. It wasn't from the gaskets at all... but there is one thing I'm concerned about.. I hear a rattling noise in the water pump for sure, and I hear water in the console compartment when the car is started. Could the rattling noise be something clogged or something stuck in the waterpump? Those are the only issues I see right now besides I do need to replace my heads soon. What kind of signs would I look for when the water pump is about to go bad? What could be causing me to hear water in the console compartment? Thanks for the replys guys....... 99 Disco 1 SD 122,000.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water noise in cabin because your heater core doesn't have enough coolant. The coolant you lost needs to be replenished by purging coolant system. Water pump issue can be checked by trying to wiggle fan and see if there is play at water pump. When my pump went bad it did the same thing. No water loss just lots of play at seal.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to bleed the coolant system of all air or you can over heat the engine. Don't drive it that way till you take care of the noise.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
False alarm guys, it was the hose going to the heater core. The old clamp broke off, so when it was leaking that day I really couldn't tell where it was leaking because of all the smoke. Put a new clamp on and leak has stop. It wasn't from the gaskets at all... but there is one thing I'm concerned about.. I hear a rattling noise in the water pump for sure, and I hear water in the console compartment when the car is started. Could the rattling noise be something clogged or something stuck in the waterpump? Those are the only issues I see right now besides I do need to replace my heads soon. What kind of signs would I look for when the water pump is about to go bad? What could be causing me to hear water in the console compartment? Thanks for the replys guys....... 99 Disco 1 SD 122,000.

fill the rad (cold) thru the plug on top - that will minimize trapped air. then the tank 1/2 way up

By wiggling the fan you'll probably only feel the fan clutch bearings - you have to release the tension on the belt idler to wiggle the water pump bearing - at least I did on mine.

luck,greg

Taytum98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the responses, I will try all of those things this week and get back with you. Thanks again!!!!!!!!! 99 Disco 1 SD 122,000

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72