cooper LTZ owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new06

Reaction score
Must say I love these tires...But am having a problem getting the shimmy out at 50 mph plus. I have had them rebalanced twice...Do any of you have this problem or do you think its the guys at discount tire not doing it right?

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, I had no shimmy at all for the first 2000 miles. Just noticed it recently at around 50 or so. Seems to go away at 70. My guess is that it's a balance problem. Haven't had time to take to America's Tire yet, but will do so. I am also wondering if it my ball joints that are going bad. I have 54k miles on the LR3 now, so I am sure it's due...

OffRoving

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any of these shimmy problems with my Cooper LTZ's. The only thing I can throw out there is a question about balancing: I have the balancing weights on the inside of the rim, not the type that clip on the outside of the bead/lip. Are your weights mounted on the inside?

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having the weights put where they are needed, inside and ouside is the best way to balance. Only putting them on the inside looks better, but results in a less optimal balance at times.

new06

Reaction score
mine are on the outside. Most of the shimmy is between 50-70mph...clears up after then. I can't tell if the tire is just more sensitive to the road imperfections or if it is the balance job.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are on the inside, stick on, put on by America's Tire. I just haven't had time to stop by and visit them. The shimmy is so slight, it is more of an annoyance.

smithrep

Reaction score
Any updates on how you guys like these tires?

Still waiting to see how they last in your tests.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, 5000 miles later, they are performing pretty well. Still have the slight shimmy at 50-70 mph, but it is ever so slight, that I have been too lazy to take in. They still look new, even after Great Divide Challenge II. Run them around 44-45 psi, so they don't feel so squishy. I had 19" Michelin Synchrones on before (still have them mounted on the rims) so these tires don't have the "street smarts" of the Michelin's, but they ride well, are pretty quiet for an aggressive offroad tire, and they have worn well. They really look great on the LR3. Occasionally hit the wheel well on the rear if I hit a bump too hard, though, as the 285's are pretty big. All in all, they are a great tire.....

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, 5000 miles later, they are performing pretty well. Still have the slight shimmy at 50-70 mph, but it is ever so slight, that I have been too lazy to take in. They still look new, even after Great Divide Challenge II. Run them around 44-45 psi, so they don't feel so squishy. I had 19" Michelin Synchrones on before (still have them mounted on the rims) so these tires don't have the "street smarts" of the Michelin's, but they ride well, are pretty quiet for an aggressive offroad tire, and they have worn well. They really look great on the LR3. Occasionally hit the wheel well on the rear if I hit a bump too hard, though, as the 285's are pretty big. All in all, they are a great tire.....

Not to highjack the thread, but what PSI are you suppose to run in the LR3's tires? On the door, it says 33psi front and 42psi rear. In the owner's manual it says 33 and 36 for normal loads and 33 and 42 for full loads (five people, lots of luggage, etc). Anyone have recommendations?

-Rich

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It totally depends on what tires you have. With the stock GoodForOneYears, go with the info provided.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4