Cracked windscreen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stealther

Reaction score
So I'm taking my LR4 through the car wash the other day and the windscreen pops a 7 inch crack all of a sudden when the soapy water touches it.

The car was says there must have been a micro chip that weakened the windscreen and the thermal shock from the temperature change caused it to crack. Sounds legit - so now I need to replace this.

I got a quote from the LR Dealership for $1152 installed which was eye opening. My insurance company will cover it for my $250 comprehensive deductible but I'd have to go thru a local glass shop vs the dealership and will get a non-Land Rover part.

Have any of you replaced your windscreen with aftermarket? Did you notice a difference in sound isolation/color etc? What brand did you get? TIA!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will the non Land Rover windscreen have the heating element in it?

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's pretty high, do you have the heated windshield?
In Florida, by law the insurance company covers windshields 100% with no deductible.
My Porsche got broken into a couple years ago and Safelite replaced the passenger window with a SEKURIT window made in Germany which is the manufacturer that Porsche uses. I think it took them a day to get it. If you have the heated windshield that might be more difficult to source.

I'd almost trust a glass place more so than the dealership, but that's just an opinion.
The glass people work on glass all day long, whereas the dealership mechanics just wrench in new parts for old most of the day.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Only the trucks with the Climate Comfort Package have the heated windshields.
It also came with the heated steering wheel, heated 1st & 2nd row seats and heated windshield washer jets.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a quote from safelite on my windshield for under $600.00. I also have the heated windshield.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only the trucks with the Climate Comfort Package have the heated windshields.
It also came with the heated steering wheel, heated 1st & 2nd row seats and heated windshield washer jets.

I assumed OP's windscreen had the heating elements in his windshield given the price he was given from his dealer.

Stealther

Reaction score

One auto glass shop says it will, as well as the rain sensor

Yeah, that's pretty high, do you have the heated windshield?

Yes, heated with rain sensor

I'd almost trust a glass place more so than the dealership, but that's just an opinion.
The glass people work on glass all day long, whereas the dealership mechanics just wrench in new parts for old most of the day.

Good point on who might do glass better. I talked to the owner of the another auto glass shop and he recommended I get a Land Rover part. He mentioned that the quality of the heating element in some aftermarket windscreens has given customers problems in the past.

i got a quote from safelite on my windshield for under $600.00. I also have the heated windshield.

Thats about what another shop quoted me

Well good news is that after I told my insurance company one of their preferred glass companies said I should go to the dealership they said they would pay to have it done at there instead (less my deductible.) So if the dealership doesn't cover it under warranty it will only end up costing me $250 which doesn't eat into my funds set aside for 18" wheels/tires!

silvajt

Reaction score
My two local LR shops send their glass repair work to an auto glass shop. They do not do it in house. I went with the OEM glass as I wasn't sure about the quality of the aftermarket due to the heating element and sensors.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well good news is that after I told my insurance company one of their preferred glass companies said I should go to the dealership they said they would pay to have it done at there instead (less my deductible.) So if the dealership doesn't cover it under warranty it will only end up costing me $250 which doesn't eat into my funds set aside for 18" wheels/tires!

Sounds to me like the insurance company was "suggesting or steering" you toward the glass shop becasuse they cost less. Here in PA insurance companies cannot tell you where to get your vehicle repaired, so the choice would be yours. Plus, despite what the dealer tells you it will cost, they might negotiate with the insurance company for a lesser amount.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local LR dealer had a select shop replace my windshield with Pilkington glass at the dealer while I was having some other work done. Covered by insurance company as 'local' glass company. Dealer knows who does good work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635