Cracked fan shroud? Engine jumped off mount?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allegro

Reaction score
Successful wire + zip tie upgrade today - I think we’re good to go.

In the event I needed to pull the shrouds, does anyone know if the fan needs to come out to remove the lower shroud?

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s plastic so you should be able to caveman it out. But do you need to?

The top part is only about 30% of the entire assembly. So assuming you dont need to remove the bottom part you should still get most of the ‘efficiency’ effect from it.

if it’s not strong enough without the top part then you’ve lost nothing so to speak.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fan is so easy to remove once the top piece is off, I’d just remove the fan so you don’t risk damaging/bending radiator cooling fins trying to wiggle the shroud out. Left hand threaded.Takes maybe 2min to remove.

allegro

Reaction score
Upon closer inspection yesterday, two of the mounting tabs on the lower shroud are broken… lower one on drivers side and upper one on passenger side. I got some nice melting on lower and upper shrouds on that top-passenger side so I figure might as well replace both.

Not sure why I though fan removal was a PITA but glad to hear it’s not!

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Light gauge brass wire from the hardware store, drill several small (melt with ice pick) holes along the broken or cracked parts then stitch together. Tape the gule crap becomes soft and slides apart, don't use this unless for off the highway only at best. Eating the radiator next, how much to replace? Able to run without overheating without the shroud with a solid brass radiator custom made for my LR never again looking at expensive OEM rubbish.

Repair parts not OEM but from Chyna the body shop cutting corners but not your bill?
Knockoff parts failing about as fast as the plastic grabage from the factory like the 5.0 engine's two plastic coolant pipes between cylinder banks failing. They should of been made of aluminum, i'd build my own if I owned a 5.0 but again no way wanting one as a gift, not into expensive unreliable vehicles. Took almost 10 years to get the LR built my way and reliable.....~~=o&o>.......

allegro

Reaction score
Light gauge brass wire from the hardware store, drill several small (melt with ice pick) holes along the broken or cracked parts then stitch together.

Yeah I ended up doing something along those lines.. best I could do at the small town mercantile I found was a 10 penny nail and a lighter for "drilling" the holes I needed for my wire to pull the shroud halves away from the fan securely. If that didn't work I was just going to take the parts out and watch temps, but it didn't come to that.

I'm back home successfully and just received replacement shrouds today - will dismantle my fix with some nostalgia and move on soon from this little chapter in the LR4 chronicles.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
If you need to get back on the road, just remove it. Secure the tube and wire with zip ties. Leave it off until you can find a replacement. You do NOT want to damage your fan clutch, it's expensive.

If you have more time on your hands and really want to repair the fan shroud, you can. Remove the shroud, clean the broken edges, use super glue and quickly add baking soda or baking powder to reinforce, fill in, the gaps. This will strengthen the broken area.

allegro

Reaction score

If you have more time on your hands and really want to repair the fan shroud, you can. Remove the shroud, clean the broken edges, use super glue and quickly add baking soda or baking powder to reinforce, fill in, the gaps. This will strengthen the broken area.

I hadn't seen the superglue + baking soda trick.. that's so cool! Will give it a shot on the broken part once it's out.. see if the results are good enough to promote it out of the trash can and into the emergency spares bin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV