Crazy to add Tactical Rear bumper at 104k?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be a do it yourself install.

I'm about to roll 100K on mine, and just did the chains/guides, crossovers and water pump with the hope of getting at least another 100K out of the updated parts.

The problem with trying to replace these things is that there is not really anything out there to replace them with. If there is another body on frame, factory V8 with a factory rear locker that has enough room to stretch out and sleep comfortably in the back that is only 1" wider than and with a turning circle tighter than a Jeep Wrangler I am not aware of it.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The T44 bumper is definitely DIY. And btw.. the longer we get from these things being new, the MORE I assume owners are mechanically capable and doing more work DIY on these things. These vehicles are not that complex if you get to know them and not that practical to own if you don't work on them yourself. Just get a friend to help you palce it on there and get it in place and slap the bolts in. Mess with the fender wells and your done.

I always said that these rigs are not very cool when new, because 90+% of them are just driven around by know nothing owners and have them worked on in the shop. The older they get the more close knit the community around them is and the more owners will be doing all the work themselves. OLD Land Rovers are cool.

I would only recommend the t44 bumper to folks who plan to need it to carry water, or need the space under for a long ranger tank, etc. Its a great bumper. I've had mine since 2017. I am only now getting the long ranger tank (28 gallons additional). I ordered it recently and will have to wait till summer for it to come from austrailia.

1643138478857.png

1643138628709.png

CaliLee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to do something to get my 32" spare out of the cargo area/3rd row. Sounds like I better hurry up and order one if I want to do it this year.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about this more, of all the problems we are aware of on the LR4, there aren't really any that become more of an issue above 100k miles than below it.

Timing chains, maybe.

But the crossover pipes, suspension stuff, etc. All things that have a rolling clock on the individual part and not necessarily on the vehicle itself.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mbw

You will love that auxiliary tank. It is the single best mod I have made to mine, and I have made a lot.

I highly suggest you get a local welder to mod the included filler neck to work on a NA spec truck (assuming LRA is still shipping with the same neck from several years ago). It is a bit of a pain to do it that way, but it makes for a cleaner and more reliable install. I have seen a few of these setups over the years that were kludged together using all manner of pvc and plastic parts to get it to work, but they looked just like that; a kludge. Mine is going on five years or so without issue so far.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those of you with the Tactical rear bumpers.

Is it possible to run it day to day without the swingout spare and with the spare back underneath? Then put the swingout spare back on before a wheeling trip or whenever?

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those of you with the Tactical rear bumpers.

Is it possible to run it day to day without the swingout spare and with the spare back underneath? Then put the swingout spare back on before a wheeling trip or whenever?
Possible? I'm betting it is, although I'm not sure whether you'd want to remove the big bolt or the whole mount.
1643211005012.png

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to just pull the big bolt and remove the arm. This is exactly my plan since it's my daily. Probably go with a bare bones T44 bumper and have my fabricator make the mounts welded in place, the just pull the large hinge bolt when not running the arms.

Huxlin777

Reaction score
I bought my LR4 at 104k miles and am adding a rack, ladder, wheels, and whatever else eventually. There’s no way I could afford my 4Runner and have upgrades, so I’m dedicated to my LR4 for at least another 104k and feel I’m still ahead of the game. But, I do as much of the work myself as possible.

Last edited:

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woukd be interested in hearing thoughts on spending an easy $4k on a Tactical 4x4 rear bumper and tire carrier. My LR4 has been super low maintenance and reliable but she’s getting up there in miles. Am I nuts to make this investment now (I really like the Tactical offering and woukd like to get the 265/65 spare out from underneath).
I have the TR bumper on both my LR3 and LR4. I installed the one in my LR3 around 265K miles.

Keep the OEM rear bumper and if anything happens to your LR4, you can swap it out and put the TR bumper on your next rig, or sell it.

BTW, with taxes and shipping, with all options, you shouldn’t be hitting $4K, unless they’ve increased prices lately. I bought my second one this last November so maybe they have?

EDIT: Ah, I see you were having a shop install it. I installed both myself, and even installed the one on my LR4 at the TR shop. It’s SUPER easy and Eric (the owner/fabricator) even gave me a couple pointers and helped me lift it into place. Eric is a super nice guy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA