Crazy to add Tactical Rear bumper at 104k?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, $2400 for a fuel tank? :eek:
I didn't pay quite that much, but after a few parts it will be close to that. 38 gallons additional solves one of the big issues with this platform... range. 58 gallons total gives me a lot more options for schedule and route on a trip.

I also don't want to use my dual jerry can holder for anything but water. It's also safer to not have fuel in a spot that can easily get damaged from a rear end collision.

Like a lot of the other mods on these trucks.. its not cheap. But this platform properly kitted is amazing for my uses.

Can't wait to get it and install it. (I'll diy install just like all of my other modifications). Should be early summer I hope. Long Ranger America had to import it from Australia.

modesto_man

Reaction score
110k is nothing. In addition, anyone that buys the LR4 after you've beat it up off-roading is going to also off-road and be attracted to rear bumper and tire carrier. I'd say it's an easy decision. Buy it. I'm assuming you already have Tactical's sliders? Those have been my most used aftermarket equipment.
Agreed. I have the tactical sliders on my 2012 and not only do they look great, they really protect the rig. Fully recommend them.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the tactical sliders and sold them. I went back to the Voyager slider and I worked with them on a new version. The version we made has a bolt on plate on just the driver side that protects the air tank and compressor. You can remove it and access the full air system without dropping the entire slider. I did this for a couple reasons. first is weight, the t44 sliders are just too heavy. second is I actually didn't want them on my frame/body mounts, they are lower along the sides than the voyagers. Also the Voyager sliders are way way more comfortable to stand on because the have two parts that your foot can be on and they stick out a lot more.

I love my T44 rear bumper, but I wouldn't go with the front bumper (ARB is just better looking, functioning and engineered and crash tested). And the sliders and skids are tough, but weight is a huge issue and I found it to be overkill. I rub a lot less without all the skids because everything is tucked up a lot higher. I just have to be more careful in some settings not to come down on my gas tank or a really pointy rock up between the front cross member into my transfer case or transmission. I may look into aluminum options for that area at some point.

Plus the t44 sliders hurt my feet when camping.. constant foot pain after climbing in and out of my rig or trying to access the roof rack.

1644082714814.png

1644082685855.png
1644082698570.png

1644082734002.png

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the tactical sliders and sold them. I went back to the Voyager slider and I worked with them on a new version. The version we made has a bolt on plate on just the driver side that protects the air tank and compressor. You can remove it and access the full air system without dropping the entire slider. I did this for a couple reasons. first is weight, the t44 sliders are just too heavy. second is I actually didn't want them on my frame/body mounts, they are lower along the sides than the voyagers. Also the Voyager sliders are way way more comfortable to stand on because the have two parts that your foot can be on and they stick out a lot more.

I love my T44 rear bumper, but I wouldn't go with the front bumper (ARB is just better looking, functioning and engineered and crash tested). And the sliders and skids are tough, but weight is a huge issue and I found it to be overkill. I rub a lot less without all the skids because everything is tucked up a lot higher. I just have to be more careful in some settings not to come down on my gas tank or a really pointy rock up between the front cross member into my transfer case or transmission. I may look into aluminum options for that area at some point.

Plus the t44 sliders hurt my feet when camping.. constant foot pain after climbing in and out of my rig or trying to access the roof rack.

View attachment 21581
View attachment 21579View attachment 21580

View attachment 21582
This is excellent feedback. After I helped install the T44 sliders on a guy’s LR4, I realized they would add too much weight to my already heavy LR4 with an RTT mounted. I was actually looking at the TF sliders as much as I hate to admit it, just because how light they are. But I love Voyager products, as both of my L319 builds have their rack and rear ladder. I’ll ping Andy about sliders and bolt on cover. Is there any way to reference your specific custom sliders so that he can replicate it for me?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is excellent feedback. After I helped install the T44 sliders on a guy’s LR4, I realized they would add too much weight to my already heavy LR4 with an RTT mounted. I was actually looking at the TF sliders as much as I hate to admit it, just because how light they are. But I love Voyager products, as both of my L319 builds have their rack and rear ladder. I’ll ping Andy about sliders and bolt on cover. Is there any way to reference your specific custom sliders so that he can replicate it for me?
Not sure it has a model designation (one point of feedback I gave them was that they should have model numbers and even revisions with change notes somewhere. They constantly improve stuff just like tactical 4x4 does. I wish T44 did also because ordering parts like the rear latch is not easy because they keep changing ****)

I think the version they were selling before I asked them about mine had the same coverage, it just was one solid piece rather than bolt on. I can't say for sure that the bolt on part is better for hard use yet, because I don't have enough trail miles on them, but the use case I was trying to solve for was EAS issues on the trail... I don't want to drop the whole slider because it kinda requires a floor jack or multiple people. The bolt on plate is pretty easy to manage alone.

Just mention "the bolt on air tank and compressor guard version". Hopefully they have made more of those since mine.

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure it has a model designation (one point of feedback I gave them was that they should have model numbers and even revisions with change notes somewhere. They constantly improve stuff just like tactical 4x4 does. I wish T44 did also because ordering parts like the rear latch is not easy because they keep changing ****)

I think the version they were selling before I asked them about mine had the same coverage, it just was one solid piece rather than bolt on. I can't say for sure that the bolt on part is better for hard use yet, because I don't have enough trail miles on them, but the use case I was trying to solve for was EAS issues on the trail... I don't want to drop the whole slider because it kinda requires a floor jack or multiple people. The bolt on plate is pretty easy to manage alone.

Just mention "the bolt on air tank and compressor guard version". Hopefully they have made more of those since mine.
Awesome, will do. I can DM you if something else pops up

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really great input all. I don’t have any problem installing myself now that I hear what’s involved. I’m not in the perfect situation currently, ‘garage wise’, but I have a lift that will do the job and I’m sure I can cajole a buddy into helping.

FYI… the indy LR shop is saying labor will be ~$1200. They are a reputable indy LR shop but have never struck me as inexpensive.

I have the 265/65 in the spare space but just don’t like it down there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick