Curious?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJBART

Reaction score
Is It Bad To Run My 00'discoii In Sport Mode Almost 100% Of The Time I Drive? Iv'e Also Noticed A Strange Buzz Sound When Im Taking A Sharp Corner Or Going Up Uneven Parts Of The Road, My Power Steering Fluid Is Full. What Is This Noise? Happy Trails To All!!!

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious ?

As far as running the disco in sport mode all the time is ok, the only thing I’d do is switch it back and forth once in a while to keep the solenoid contacts in working order. You may notice a little less mileage.
To start of with, a lot of things can make a buzzing sound. Is it loud or subtle ? Can you better define the area where it is coming from ? to me, you’ve hit on to points that are related in the ACE system ( active cornering enhancement. ) that is if your model is equipped with it. The noise you are describing can be related to a relay or some hydraulic valve, or relief valve, to name a few. There is a oil filter in the ACE system.
The ACE system is part of the power steering unit and is complex. It has it’s own processor, hydraulic system and sensors. If you have experience in dealing with this system You can change out the ACE oil filter and swap a few relays to find out which one is bad, but usually a bad relay would activate a computer code and a light will display on the dash. Make sure the key is off when switching relays……….. chongo

DJBART

Reaction score
I Have A 00 Diso Series2 V8, To Be Honest I'm Unsure If This Model Is Equipped With The "ace" I'm Going To Check Out My Manual. The Sound I'm Hearing Sounds Almost Exactly Like When Your Power Steering Fluid Is Low, And When You Turn Your Wheel You Hear That Distinct Buzz. I Believe It's Primarly In The Front.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious.........

I didn't know it was a 2000 however it may have the ACE system.
also check your pulleys, they're plastic and when they wear though they make noises, may want to check your belt too. It does sound to me like it has something to do with the pump. What is the color of the fluid look like ? Dirty and dark, or the color of the fluid you use ? What fluid are you using ? It could be that the pump is faulty, If this system doesn't have the ACE system, is there still a power steering filter?

About the power streeing pump, I'm not sure on the design of the pump, weather it is a card type or eccentric, but this makes little to no difference. the way Landrover put it in it's a joy to remove. You'll have to remove the A/C unit and lay it off to the drivers side. the front pulley comes off then the whole mounting bracket that holds the pump and A/C to the head comes off. All because they use a stud with different thread sizes on each end for the center power steering pump support stud.
I'd would tend to agree with you that it is the pump, and if the fluid is getting dirty, the sooner it is replaced the better.

Let me know If I can be of further help...........
best wishes.................... chongo

Last edited:

DJBART

Reaction score
THE COLOR OF MY PWER STEERING FLUID IS PRETTY DARK, I WILL BE KEEPING AN EYE ON IT. YOUR INFO HAS BEEN A HELPFUL. BY THE WAY YOUR SMILEY GUY ROCKS( i wonder what exactly he's smokin) PEACE BRO!

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll never tell...

psss....I'll never tell...good one

If the fluid is dark I'd put a transmission in-line filter in the power steering return line, availeable at most autoparts stores, and purge the system with the old p/s pump before I replaced it. I'd do this soon, debris can hurt other systems including, ACE and The steering gearbox, and if your unit has the ACE system it has it's own filter......................
Best wishes................ Chongo

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635