Current Brake Pad and Rotor Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
So, the 2016 (which we purchased used 10K ago) has very little pad left in the rear, but plenty left in front.

Based on dust levels these must be OEM pads, and they look like OEM rotors.

It's at 60K miles so I will replace pads and rotors on the rear, maybe the fronts as well, but still undecided...

But I want to move away from OEM - I am sick and tired of the dust.

SO, for everyday light duty driving by my daughter, and the truck lives most of the year in upstate NY, summers in Houston, TX.

Current recommendations for pads and rotors - for the rears?

And if I do the fronts as well - current recommendations for pads and rotors - for the fronts?

Thanks!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My last change, I used Hawk pads and Land Rover rotors. Not much dust.

I'm getting ready to do them again and will use Hawk pads again, only this time using Brembo rotors (which I understand are the same as OEM).

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the rear rotors have much "lip" ie are they severely worn?

For pads that don't make much mess. Akebono ceramic.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Rotors could go a while yet, certainly another set of pads. Rover recommends changing rotors every other set of pads (overkill - yes), but since this one lives so far away, it's good piece of mind just doing the replacement...

I have never used ceramic pads, do they tend to squeek? (I don't need a call "Dad, the brakes squeek!" - when it's nothing...)

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with Zimmermann Coated Rotors and Akebono Ceramic Brakes. Been very happy with performance and little dust.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ferodo/Zimmerman for rear, Pagid/Zimmerman for the front. Bought them from FCP Euro (LT Warranty, more for the pads, as the rotors were not really worn so they prob won't get replaced next time, and I doubt I'll return due to weight) due to the way this thing eats pads and rotors. No noticeable dust, but then it goes to the car wash several times a week for the paint/uv protection.....

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind a lot of that black dust is from the soft high carbon rotors that LR specs. I have never seen rotors wear so fast.

Ryan00TJ

Reaction score
42k miles. Wife's 16. Stock front pads around 1/4 left. I replaced rear pads with the Powerstop Z17 Ceramic pads. Rotors were ok and reused. Follow their bead in procedure and all is good. Same breaking ability and far less dust. I run these on my Sierra with same results.

2500 miles on pads update.. Far. Far less dust than stock. No squeaking. No difference in braking or pedal feel vs oem.

You don't realize how dirty the oem pads are vs a ceramic pad.

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power Stop is good. They produce all types of pad materials so have no bias in selling one over the other. Their little chart sums up my experiences. Ceramics are cleaner but ultimately don't have the feel or power of original. They can feel "wooden"

Screenshot 2022-05-24 080757.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA