D90: possible trans brake rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsreiter

Reaction score
My D90 is rattling (similar to valve chatter, but louder), sounds like it's coming from the transmission brake, but the sound disappears over 2,800 RPMs. Could the brake be binding?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Does it rattle just when moving? If so, I would put it on a lift and check it.

Not sure about the brake binding, but it is possible.

dsreiter

Reaction score
It only rattles when moving and only under about 2,800 RPMs. At first I thought it was valve noise from the engine over-labouring, but it is definitely coming from the transmission brake/drive shaft area.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay is it load based as well? i.e. does it sound worse going up hill? Is it speed based, or just RPM?

dsreiter

Reaction score
It seems to only be RPM-based, totally disappears over 2,800 RPMs regardless of gear, speed or load.

I think my oil cooler line blew last night. Smoke started pouring out, I pulled over right away, there was oil everywhere, almost nothing left in the sump. At least the engine didn't seize.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If it is completely RPM based, it is an engine thing. Maybe a loose bolt on the flywheel.

dsreiter

Reaction score
I was playing around with that rattle on some hills and as it turns out, it does get worse under load, but then disappears after 2,800 RPMs. It sounds the worst up to 2,500 RPMs going uphill, under load.

It sounds a bit like the noise that my Series III made with a bad universal joint between trans brake and drive shaft. What do you think?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If it is a U-joint, I would change it before it comes apart. Since they are cheap I would start there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635