Dang spam bots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
sorry about that, should be gone now.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Umm. Looks like you need to enforce 2FA for everybody. This hack is bad news.

Wasn't a hack. Just spammers getting past the spam filters. Why would you think this was a hack and how would 2 step verification help stop a spammer that registers and posts spam?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't a hack. Just spammers getting past the spam filters. Why would you think this was a hack and how would 2 step verification help stop a spammer that registers and posts spam?

Exactly, and also a pretty boring hack if it were ;)

But wow that **** was prolific hitting every page.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly, and also a pretty boring hack if it were ;)

But wow that **** was prolific hitting every page.

Some of the spammers had close to 2000 posts! Amazing how fast they can automate these spammers posts!

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you force a 2fa they can't automate the bot. Maybe a future approach?

So you want me to setup a 2 step verification and set it up to have members go through that verification process before every post, or every log in? I'd lose members pretty fast. :p

All I did is now put all new registered members in a moderation que, and will approve them now, until this all dies down, which it will.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe limit then post rate or challenge with 2FA after x number of post per sec/min? That might **** the bots