Death Wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skinnydipper

Reaction score
I followed this procedure for the swivel pins: http://www.***.hiof.no/~frodehaa/swivelpinpreload.htm

It seems to have fixed the death wobble when I hit bumps at speed (55 to 65 mph). But I am still getting the death wobble when braking at speed (55 to 65 mph).

I am driving a 97 Disco with 120,000. Just replaced all the shocks and steering stabilizer this last weekend. Also checked the swivel pin pre-load and all was still correct. It only happens when I brake, and does not happen if I lightly pump the brakes or coast to below 55 mph before braking. At lower speeds, the brakes surge slightly.

I should note that I had the front rotors and pads changed about a year ago. The shop did a crap job, they used an impact gun and tightened the lug nuts so tight I had to use a breaker bar with a long pipe to break them loose. Needless to say, they warped my new rotors. When I was adjusting the swivel pin pre-load, I had to put a cheater bar on a breaker bar to loosen the bolts holding on the calipers.

Any ideas? Should I just take it a front end shop and have everything checked, aligned, and adjusted?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be the warped rotors.

skinnydipper

Reaction score
Thanks Joey. That was my first conclusion also, but the shaking is extremely violent at 55 to 65 mph and does not let up if I let off the brake pedal or speed up. At low mph the brakes surge.

Could it be the front drive shaft? Should I try removing the driveshaft and see what happens?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you changed the Panhard rod bushings?

voltaire1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem you are referring to is very common with Jeep Wranglers with large after market tires. I never had the problem with my Jeep but I know several guys that did have the problem. In almost all cases it was tires out of balance or a front-end in need of alignment. If you have larger than stock tires, I would start there.

skinnydipper

Reaction score
The problem you are referring to is very common with Jeep Wranglers with large after market tires. I never had the problem with my Jeep but I know several guys that did have the problem. In almost all cases it was tires out of balance or a front-end in need of alignment. If you have larger than stock tires, I would start there.

Nope, tires are slightly oversized but not large at all. I'll get a front end alignment and wheel balance after changing the panhard bushings though just to be sure. Thanks!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt anything... I can say they are probably worn out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak