defender transfer box and axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seymour1

Reaction score
I have an old defender which i'm planning to overhaul, does anyone have any advice or recommendation for the ultimate gear box/ transfer box diff/axles combo
can i fit td5 gearbox and complete axles to old defender 1988?

TS888

Reaction score
Ultimate? For what use?

The conventional wisdom says the R380 is the strongest manual box. What you will need to fit one depends on the engine to which you want to bolt it.

Newer is better on xfer boxes. Stock low range ratios are all the same, high range ratio standard Defender is generally 1.4:1. Disco and RR's got 1.2, so somewhat lower revs in high range. 1.6 is available too. On the bottom end, you can fit an underdrive for crawling if that meets your needs. Axle ratios run the gamut too.

Can you fit TD5 kit to an '88? Sure, anything is possible. What's your skill level, and/or how deep is your wallet?

Not knowing what you want to do with the truck can lead to spending more than you need and not meeting your goals. Better to decide how you intend to use the truck, then ask for help relative to that purpose so others have a context for their advice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635