Different Style Timing Chains?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello out there LR folks! I've got a bit of an interesting situation on my hands. Long story even longer, I'm rebuilding a 5.0 SC RRS engine. Here's the rub....I have ordered all new timing components from Land Rover British, and pretty much everything is OEM....not a problem....until I got the engine apart. Here's where it gets interesting. The timing chains I took off are twice as thick as the replacement chains. More importantly, the cam variator, crank sprocket, oil pump sprocket and guides are all sized to the larger chains. FYI, the new chains aren't large enough to fit the existing sprockets. Also, the part numbers stamped on the old and new cam variators are the same....B535B....which just REALLY confuses me, cause they're not the same.
IMG_1953.jpeg

The above photo shows the two different chains. (FYI, the old chains are on the left, and new ones are on the right.) In all honesty, it looks as though the chains I have are leftovers from a LR3 or something, cause that's really all I can find online that looks similar in style and design? Thankfully, I have new cam variators (with the newer size sprocket) and I can always source a new oil pump sprocket and crank sprocket, but what the heck is going on? Cause I'm not going to lie, the old chains look nicer than the new ones? Not to mention they're wider and in theory stronger!

Has anyone ever run into something like this?

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one knows huh? Why is it I always seem to find "those" engines!?!?!?!?

Please somebody know what this is!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you buy the new one from Atlantic British?

You may try contacting them as they see a few vehicles in their shop for work.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after scouring the internet, trying to look up the stamped part numbers, I FINALLY tracked it down!!!!

I have the original 6.35mm chains! That's what they look like! The new chains are all the "upgraded" 8mm style.

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 6.12.41 AM.png

I found the above on a different forum. It's funny, because they all agree, the 8mm chain is not nearly as strong, or as quiet as the newer 8mm style. Plus, it sounds like they had less issues with the 6.35mm style chains and tensioning systems. It's only when they went to the 8mm style they had so many issues with the new rails.

The sad part is I've been trying to find the older 6.35mm style because I like the chain A LOT better! Plus, I now have to swap EVERY sprocket, which I believe also includes the high pressure fuel pump sprocket. :hmmmm:

Thankfully, I'm doing a full engine rebuild so swapping everything shouldn't be a problem...plus I have a lot of spare parts from another engine and new replacements, to include a new fuel pump cam and cam variators so it shouldn't be too bad.

It really is a shame....after reading the other forum, it really sounds like LR was just trying to cut a little cost by shrinking the chains....and look what it's caused!

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you buy the new one from Atlantic British?

You may try contacting them as they see a few vehicles in their shop for work.
Actually, yes I did! I bought their timing kit and I thought if anyone would know, they would. So, I talked to their guy in sales/tech support and he basically told me he had no idea what I was talking about. That said, if he would have asked one of the techs, I'm sure they would have known.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
supercharged engines maybe use a different chain? Looks like you've got the NA chain?
Thankfully, the supercharged and NA engines share the same timing kits. Honestly, I was originally planning on converting my NA engine into the SC variant (I have a 2010 LR4), but after buying all the internals and heads and a supercharger, I found out the blocks have like 1 or 2 small differences....insert HUGE face palm here.

So, I bought a used SC engine and am rebuilding it. Luckily, the block is fine, it just had a spun bearing...or in this case disintegrated bearing on the #5 piston. So, I have a new (used) crank from another engine that'll swap out and I'll rebuild the sucker!

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA