Disabling 2014 ECO Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To permanently disable the Intelligent stop start

To permanently disable the Intelligent stop start.
Simply remove the right rear interior trim panel in the luggage area, where the fuse panel is located. You just have to reach under and grab the handle and give it a good tug.
Inside you will see a small battery. Simply disconnect the negative lead off the battery. Once the lead is removed. tape it up with electrical tap so there is no chance of an electrical short and tie it so it won't move around. I just used zip ties.

replace the trim cover and enjoy .

No fault codes, no displayed error messages and most importantly NO MORE Intelligent Stop Start

I couldn't find anyone who had done this on a land rover, but it is a very common fix on the Jag's with the same system. I decided to try it and sure enough it works.

Hope this helps those of you were as displeased as me with the system.

Before I dive into this I wanted to check with anyone who may have done this on a 2016/2016.5 LR4. I do not want the yellow light but I do not want this awful system functioning either.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I dive into this I wanted to check with anyone who may have done this on a 2016/2016.5 LR4. I do not want the yellow light but I do not want this awful system functioning either.

I've disabled ECO on my 2015. You'll have the yellow light from 14 thru 16.5. The yellow light pales in comparison to the feeling of the LR start / stop.

At one point, a power module that controls this system failed. My ECO stopped working AND there was no yellow light. Regrettably, I had the dealer fix it. Wish I would have left it alone.

Before I removed the negative cable, I went as far as trying to isolate a few of the other connectors within that battery compartment to see if I could isolate that module and repeat my previous experience. I could not.

Schlepper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if the module has fault it does not come on or show the light.

What happens if you unplug the module?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait until you all have to replace your starters. I did that on a LR3 and not something I would want to do often.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if the module has fault it does not come on or show the light.

What happens if you unplug the module?

I spent more time under the hood yesterday. Unplugging each of the two harnesses or red power cables on the Power Module, renders the cars dead in some cases or throws the Amber ECO light.

There is a small fuse block on the Power Distribution Module within the Eco system equipment area. Pulling one fuse at a time, they all threw an Amber Light on the dash.

When my module originally failed it did not throw the Amber light.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait until you all have to replace your starters. I did that on a LR3 and not something I would want to do often.

I am not sure how the LR4 system works but some designs do not involve the use of the starter for eco start/stop however gauging by how primitive and harsh the engagement is on the LR products it would not surprise me if this particular system did use the starter. Does anyone on here know for certain?

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am so programmed to pushing that eco button at the moment I start the truck up that I never even notice the action of me doing it anymore. I lower it when I put it in my garage, raise it when I park in loaded parking lots (people hit my steps instead of my doors when I do this) So I am always reaching down there to raise or lower it along with pressing the eco button.....along with throwing my phone on my proclip mount and selecting my music, then switching the GPS screen on, it feels like being in a proper cockpit...lol, sounds funny, but I kind of enjoy it, makes me feel more involved with the truck.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
along with throwing my phone on my proclip mount

Which mount location did you go with, the higher one closer to the steering wheel and vent, or the lower one kind of in the passenger knee area? I have a decent CD-slot-mounted solution but would love something closer to my line of sight when referring to maps. Just don't want it to interfere with vent output too much (a little bit of air on a hot phone might not be a bad thing, though).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72