Disco 5 hit with the ugly stick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s one story on the topic;
https://m.drive.com.au/motor-news/new-land-rover-defender-won-t-be-a-retro-re-make-116528.html

And the alleged spy shots;
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...-new-land-rover-defender-is-in-the-works.html

"...Without giving away any intimate details, other than confirming the vehicle won’t feature any exposed rivets – a signature design cue of the original - he admitted the design “in its entirety is complete” and the engineering division has completed construction of the first series of prototype vehicles.

McGovern said the Defender will retain the original’s rugged off-road abilities, but he conceded the car’s modernised exterior design won’t be dictated by the ageless appeal of its predecessor that recently ceased production and changed little in its 69 years on-sale."

land-rover-defender-mule-spy-photos-10.jpg

land-rover-defender-mule-lwb-spy-photos-06.jpg

View attachment 7623

God, I hope this is a mule for the drivetrain only?

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd rather have a Cayman than a 911 then reworked for more HP than the 911 and see who is a better handling car not alone Cayman's **** lines.
A OH NO at Porsche keeping the 911 as their king of the mountain (money) model since 1965 (early 1966) model year.
I'm old skool favoring my dad's (now mine) 54 VW (dad original owner), back in 56 installed a new but totaled out 56 Speedster, engine, trans and brakes plus a DIY tuned and balanced muffler. The 1500 barrels changed out for 1600 barrels. Sweet sounds.
Can't miss the Speedster's cam overlap and exhaust sound over a standard 356.
A jump 36 hp to 70+ hp back in the day.

Prost, Carl.....~~=o&o>.....

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not what the Defender will look like. That's random bodyparts from other vehicles that they cobbled together to slap on the upcoming Defender's chassis and drivetrain in order to drive it around.

I find it funny that people actually think the mule is an indication of what the final design will be. If that's the case, then the new ford bronco is really a ford everest (that's what is being used as the mule's shell.) --- The only thing that this vehicle will have in common with the final version of the defender is what you cannot really see, the suspension, motor, etc.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove a D5 as a loaner when I took my LR4 in for service. I had kept an open mind and was fairly excited to drive it...and it was a diesel, so even better.

It drove really well except for irregular surfaces such as small potholes where it really made harsh impacts; the LR4 is much better at taking these "hits". The loaner was an HSE and did not have the air suspension option so that probably has something to do with it.

Overall impressions were that it is a nice driving vehicle but it's such a difference from the LR4. It really seems like JLR wants to bring it "upmarket", and they kind of have to in order to compete with the X5, Q7, etc. Whereas the LR4 is a Land Rover, I would call this a Range Rover Junior. It's obvious that many elements are trying to emulate the RR Sport and that is really a shame.

Looking at the D5, I was reminded of a giant marshmallow (it was white) and while I could probably squint and make a case for owning one, then I get to the rear and have a "what-was-I-thinking" moment. Ugly stick is an understatement...and from a functional viewpoint (or lack of one) the visibility from the inside-out is greatly reduced compared to the LR4 in every direction.

It's really apples to oranges, and I'm sure it will sell because it's so bland it won't offend anyone (isn't that all people are worried about today?). And yes, the not-quite-offset-enough rear license plate will surely have the new D5 owners saying to themselves, "Look at this asymmetry...that's right, I'm adventurous and edgy!", so good for them.

At least I now know for sure that I need to look into converting my LR4 into a CPO or possibly look into an extended warranty in another 16 months. Would owning a D5 really be terrible? No, I don't think so; I'm just not ready.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It drove really well except for irregular surfaces such as small potholes where it really made harsh impacts; the LR4 is much better at taking these "hits". The loaner was an HSE and did not have the air suspension option so that probably has something to do with it.

Wow, I honestly thought you had made a mistake when you said the HSE didn't have EAS. But sure enough, you have to get into the HSE Luxury trim package to get EAS. I didn't realize that until this moment.

Have *you* hugged your LR4 today??

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not necessarily true. We were looking at getting one for my wife's work vehicle and you can get the EAS on a base SE by adding the capability package ($1530) which also comes with the twin speed gearbox.

That's slightly better news, thanks for clarifying. I didn't sift through the various configuration packages. I was mostly surprised that it would take an add-on package or upgraded trim level to get what has been standard for so long.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's slightly better news, thanks for clarifying. I didn't sift through the various configuration packages. I was mostly surprised that it would take an add-on package or upgraded trim level to get what has been standard for so long.

Yeah, we ended up getting a RRS for my wife but found out a lot about the new D5 in the process. Not a terrible ride when it's not compared to the LR4. I had the opportunity to take it on the LR course in Asheville this past September and I don't care what anyone says on this forum...it handles much better off road and you can feel the 1k lbs of weight that was taken off when you are up on 3 wheels teetering. The view from the driver's seat is slightly hindered, but not much. All in all, it's a different vehicle that looks different but the one I drove felt more confident/capable off road, so at least they got that right.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99