Disco 5 hit with the ugly stick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My point about the front locker is that generally when climbing something the weight of the vehicle is over the rear wheels so a rear locker is way more important than the front. Further minimizing the need for a front locker is 4ETC. It would still be an advantage, I will not argue that, but it's not as big an advantage as people think.

I bring up the front locker because to me that is the ONLY thing the G has that the LR3 doesn't. If we want to bench-wheel the two, let's do it!

• Angles (LR3 app, dep, b/o: 37.2, 29.6, 27.9 G: 30, 30, 24, another source says 36, 27, 21)
  • crawl ratio: LR3 45.57, G: 34:1
  • wheel travel: LR3: 10" front, 13" rear, G: 3.5" front, 9.2" rear
  • ground clearance: LR3: 11.5" (Extended Height), G: 8.3"
  • slope capability: LR3: 45d, G: 38.7d (another source says 45d)
  • side slope capability: LR3: 35d, G: 28d

LR3 wins all of these. So...what's that you were saying????

That's fair - we can easily disagree. Numbers don't tell the full story, no matter how detailed - so it is just like you say, bench wheeling. Neither of us really know, but you do make a strong case. For what it's worth when I talk about wheeling I'm talking about the stuff most folks watch on youtube rather than the dirt road adventures and roof-top tents that most folks actually do. I don't mean that in a condescending way to anyone by any means - I love all levels of the stuff, and especially love that people do some of it in pretty modern Land Rovers since that possibility seems to be slowly dying (as evidenced by the original topic of this thread, that ugly-ass Disco 5.) Just making the distinction. I think that when it comes to the really rough stuff the live portal axles, very low COG, and front and rear lockers would make more difference than they appear to on paper. But we won't really know, because most people that do the really dumb stuff have either a buggy or a beater like mine - sanity and financial sense mostly keep things like LR4s and G-Wagens off of these trails for all but the truly crazy (and crazy wealthy, most likely.) I do the crazy **** in a vehicle that is much more expensive than it looks, but still far less expensive than an LR3/4 or G-Wagen. As much as I'd love to see an LR4 and a G out there I don't think either would fare very well, but my gut says the G would do a little better. But I've been wrong plenty of times before. Here's my wheeler - plenty capable, but ugly as hell. Still not as ugly as the Disco 5 I don't think, lol.

turd4.jpg

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Portal axles?!?! Oh damn Brandon please let me make a point of clarification: I'm saying LR3/4 V G500....not the behemoth that is the G550!!!

By the way, I do plenty of technical stuff in my LR3...it handles it and asks for more. It's me that hits the limit of what I can or will do first, not the Rover!

PS - your rig looks fun!!

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Portal axles?!?! Oh damn Brandon please let me make a point of clarification: I'm saying LR3/4 V G500....not the behemoth that is the G550!!!

By the way, I do plenty of technical stuff in my LR3...it handles it and asks for more. It's me that hits the limit of what I can or will do first, not the Rover!

PS - your rig looks fun!!

Oh. Well ****, lol. I was referring to the beast. Although to be honest I thought they all had portals - my memory is just **** I guess.

It is definitely fun. It either falls over or breaks every time we go out, but it's fun right up until that point. I'm currently fixing this issue for the third time, this time beefing up the knuckles and steering arms considerably and adding a hydraulic assist ram - hopefully it will stop happening, because it really puts a damper on the fun day.

oops.jpg

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah if you have to spend more time under the rig than inside of it, it becomes less fun!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed with this in so very many ways. We've done extensive research (dare I say exhaustive) over the last year and a half for a new SUV to replace a '08 LR3. We LOVED the technology in the Q7. Hated the styling and lack of off road capability. Liked the size of the comparable Volvo, hated the transmission. Liked the off road ability of the Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk, hated the tech and the cargo area was less than desirable. VW, Ford, X5 (we own a BMW hatchback we ate absolutely gaga over; the tech is fantastic!), Cayenne, even Cadillac...none of them felt as good as the LR3. It's just so damn perfect. We've decided to try to aftermarket some of the tech we're missing and make it amazing.
(Wish us luck- lol).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Of course you need to do what I did...replace your 2008 LR3 with a used LR4. It may take some time and searching but the right one will come along. I found mine 1000 miles away with just 13K miles on it. Look for a 2016 Landmark LR4. Coming from an LR3 the SCV6 will be fine.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are vehicles with great prowess off road but how many can look as good as the LR4 while doing it. And carry the load and passengers at the same time? While we have kept our Nara Bronze LR4 HSE I lament ever selling the Firenze Red HSE LUX. Like someone once said..."They don't make them like that anymore."

When I brought home a D5 loaner, my wife looked it over and said that she was keeping her 2013 Firenze Red HSE LUX forever.

I use my vehicle for work and my LR4 is fully depreciated so it would have made sense for me to get a new D5 in 2017. Pretty sad when you would rather send the IRS an extra $10K than trade in your LR4 for a new D5.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I brought home a D5 loaner, my wife looked it over and said that she was keeping her 2013 Firenze Red HSE LUX forever.

I use my vehicle for work and my LR4 is fully depreciated so it would have made sense for me to get a new D5 in 2017. Pretty sad when you would rather send the IRS an extra $10K than trade in your LR4 for a new D5.

Some LR focus group facilitator should have heard that comment, but of course it's too late now. :(

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread has become really both fun and sad read :). Here is one more reason for me to hug my LR4 today:

Cargo.jpg

Amazes me how much room LR3/4 got. Fit these four tires with ease with plenty of wiggle room on the sides and several inches in front and behind these vertical standing tires, without folding my rear seats. I had to insert paper towel rolls in front and behind the tires to prevent them from rocking back and forth as i drove.

Can Ugly-5 do that?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stuffed 1/2 a garage bay of household junk and bagged trash into my LR4 this morning. Old shelves, boxes of tile, my wife's old Pilates device, tons of Amazon Prime boxes, etc. The guy at the county dump was amazed at how much stuff I kept pulling out of my vehicle. When I was finished, I flipped the seats back up, reinstalled my cargo cover, gave him a wave and was on my merry way.

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's a seriously sad statement.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635