Discovery 4 pictures with a hitch hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This time I went to the track with my bike on a hitch motorcycle carrier. Hauling the trailer was barely noticeable but this setup is even better: It's like carrying a couple of people in the third row, I really could not notice the extra weight. I still managed to cruise at 90MPH on the freeway and had no issues off road (off-road height) either.

IMG-20110828-00110.jpg

IMG-20110828-00111.jpg

IMG-20110828-00112.jpg

IMG-20110828-00113.jpg

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like a pretty slick set up.

One thing I noticed when I had my LR4 loaded, was the fact it never felt loaded. I had 7 adults in my LR4 with luggage for 2 weeks on a hitch mounted carrier and things pile high in the rear cargo arrea. It felt just like any other time I was driving it unloaded. Truly remarkable.

Rob

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lowering the suspension for unloading and loading the bike was just the cherry on the pie :cool:

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that your windows are not tinted like they are in the States?

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are not. It's one of the differences of the Discovery 4 we get to buy in Panama. I was offered the chance to install solar gard window tinting film but I really like the clarity of the clear windows.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome! I must admit, I am definitely living the off-road life through you as I have not had a chance to take my LR4 on anything other than a slightly dirt road. Haha!

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compared with the same hauler on my friend's FJ Cruiser, the Discovery 4 adjusts the rear suspension so that it doesn't drop and it stays leveled. On the FJ Cruiser it drops slightly on the rear.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alex,

Can I ask how much the bike weighs and if it's a pain to mount/dismount?

I would also like to add that judging from your pictures, you are leading an absolutely horrible life. I am really sorry for you and if there is anything I can do (like ship my me and my LR4 to Peru) Please let me know. I'm willing to make the sacrifice.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bike weighs 230 lbs and the hitch carrier another 25 lbs. The one in the picture I borrowed from a friend.

BD-Single-5.jpg

On the carrier in the picture it's kind of awkward to dismount the bike because the carrier doesn't have a flat surface, it's built like a ladder with steps and gaps. The front tire falls in one of these gaps (it is intended to keep the bike in place) and makes it hard to get the bike out of it:

Here's a picture of the one I ordered fro my self with a flat ramp surface (I should get it tomorrow):

ADD-ABT-2.jpg

And a close-up of the system that holds the front wheel in place:

ADD-ABT-3.jpg

It was slightly more expensive ($215 vs. $180) but had better reviews and I had already experienced the difficulties with the one I borrowed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM