Rhino / ox hitch option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thought.

Anyone have any insight on the bolt seating? W

You mentioned that you didn’t hit the bolts with a torque wrench. On mine, everything snugged up nice and tight and square when I applied the prescribed torque to the bolts. If the washers haven’t deformed then you most likely haven’t tightened enough. My thought is that since the piece you bolt to is cast metal, maybe the tolerances aren’t as tight, so the deforming washers make up for the slop. Just a guess.

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy should have probably been able to return this ox hitch unit to the manufacturer. To me it certainly looks like a good recall opportunity especially if the weld surfaces weren't properly prepared prior to welding or when the welder didn't do a good job.

This should be an easy money back guarantee. I doubt the loose connection would cause a failure like shown, it may have caused the bolts to fail but not the welds.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, early adopter of the Rhino hitch. Probably a customer of the first or second production batch and with my early order Todd provided a small discount. That was probably 5 or 6 years ago. Initially upgraded from LR's "plow" because it was too low for forest service / off road excursions with our travel trailer and the low LR tongue weight rating of 550 lbs.

At the time the TT was a Keystone 2013 19FBPR (19' TT for total length of 24') which probably weighed in at 5000 lbs wet total with a tongue weight in the 500 lb range. This was our TT till this past summer and was our camper all over the Intermountain West, from Colorado to Wyoming and East to Missouri. No issues with the Rhino hitch, not even an adjustment.

Recently upgraded our TT to a Lance 2375 (24' TT for a total length of 28'), tongue weight rose to 850 lbs and trailer is now probably in the 6,500 lb range wet. Camped roughly 28 days this past summer, again across Intermountain West and also put 1,800 miles on it in one trip across Colorado, Kansas and Missouri. No issues with the Rhino hitch, not even an adjustment.

Our other upgrade was Clearview towing mirrors. Got tired of strapping on temporary mirrors that always sagged.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy should have probably been able to return this ox hitch unit to the manufacturer. To me it certainly looks like a good recall opportunity especially if the weld surfaces weren't properly prepared prior to welding or when the welder didn't do a good job.

This should be an easy money back guarantee. I doubt the loose connection would cause a failure like shown, it may have caused the bolts to fail but not the welds.

I'm sure he submitted a warranty claim and is waiting there on the roadside for them to get back to him.

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure he submitted a warranty claim and is waiting there on the roadside for them to get back to him.

I chuckled.

Yeah what a colossal F'up. Guy got SO lucky that happened in a parking lot. The ox hitch has been on my someday list of upgrades but I would be very hesitant to buy one now unless they respond with a damn good excuse for how that happened.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was a startling read.

Glad I have a truck to tow with. The LR4 tows like crap anyway IMO once you start bolting on larger wheels/tires, although I have pressed it into service on occasion at my farm.

CoastieLR4

Reaction score
You absolutely can buy them used! They pop up on FB and expedition portal regularly. Just post a WTB thread and someone will speak up. I found mine, had been used once and came with a new hitch plate cover so I can cut to fit and then save my original for when I don't have the hitch installed.

jlove

Reaction score
I purchased the OX hitch a few months ago from tactical 4x4 to tow a travel trailer. with I got it installed and have only towed my 6000 lbs travel trailer around town a few times with no issues. I saw the post of the failed hitch which defiantly made me nervous. I Emailed tactical 4x4 and got a response from Wendy:
"I am in the process of making a list of people to contact regarding the Rhino OX hitches. We have been informed by the manufacturer (this is the one product we don't build) that there is a problem with the welding on the hitches in one batch....This week I will be contacting anyone who may have received one of the hitches from the problem batch."

At the time of this email she was unsure if I had received a defective one, but told me to send it into them and they would reweld it for me just to be on the safe side. I really have to give it to these guys as they are stepping up and making it right. Tactical 4x4 is not the manufacture, but they are doing everything they can to make the best of a bad situation. If you purchased one of OX hitches from tactical 4x4 I would get in contact with them and I am sure they will get you taken care of.

dlonesty

Reaction score
Geeze...LR makes and has researched the exact hitch system that works for the truck. Why is everyone bothering to remake the system when the one supplied works perfectly with the truck. By perfectly I do not mean without difficulty of taking the tow hitch on and off the truck. I leave mine on 100% of the time and then the only problem is solved.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Why is everyone bothering to remake the system when the one supplied works perfectly with the truck.

Because the oem hitch sits too low. The 1st gen goose neck sits even lower and has potential issues with snapping. The second gen, short neck, still sits too low while off roading. With this I can have it on 100% of the time.

My only gripe is the hitch reciever's depth is too shallow. I bought a Yakima Backswing, but the pin holes are roughly 1/2" too short from the hitch pin to fit. I don't want to cut the Backswing, so I'm going to sell it locally and get something different.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72