Rhino / ox hitch option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Kinsler

Reaction score
This hitch has a rather small but loyal following. I have never seen one offered on the used market. If you do find one, be aware that some of the oval washers that come with it are designed to deform as you torque them down around the cast metal portions of your Rover’s underside. I don’t know if it would be possible to source new washers easily or if they could safely be re-used.

I did see one on another forum but it was snagged quickly back in sept. Good to know on the washers. I'll likely just pull the trigger on the direct buy tomorrow. Eager to get out and tow something, lol.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did see one on another forum but it was snagged quickly back in sept. Good to know on the washers. I'll likely just pull the trigger on the direct buy tomorrow. Eager to get out and tow something, lol.

I understand!! Did yours come with trailer wiring already installed? If not I can highly recommend the Atlantic British wiring kit.

Robert Kinsler

Reaction score
It did not. Just ordered the rhino from tactically and emailing with lucky 8 foe the gap tool and possibly wiring, will see what their wiring price is at. British is aftermarket vs oem right?

Also need to snag new keys. Going to post about that separately.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, Atlantic British wiring harness is aftermarket but high quality and solid fit. I’m a fan of stock OEM for a lot of stuff but this item is easy to recommend.

Robert Kinsler

Reaction score
Alright all, after several start and stops I now have my rhino ox hitch installed.

I saw someone mentioned that the lr4 and lr3 bushings were mislabeled... the lr4 I used was definitely the smaller of the two and a little loose but ultimately fit well. The other was larger and would have had to be banged in. Think I may have used the wrong one?

Also, I dont have a torque wrench yet so only socket wrench tight now. Looks like the seating of the bolts into the rover hitch mount arent seated great, but perhaps that's where the deforming washers come into play?

Also snagged a hitch mount cover and notched it out to fit snug around the locking pin.

Digging it.

20201201_234005.jpg 20201201_233356.jpg 20201201_230727.jpg 20201201_230719.jpg 20201201_230646.jpg

dlonesty

Reaction score
Nope to anything but LR. Tow system. I asked LR NA and they say haul weight is much lower than LR

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Nope to anything but LR. Tow system. I asked LR NA and they say haul weight is much lower than LR

LR tow hitch sits way too low, especially the gooseneck one. Inverting a drop down hitch would barely get it to the right tow height. Luckily I could raise my LR4 with the IID Tool.

This tow hitch is at a better height and feels more solid than the oem hitch that's secured by a single locking pin.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What is this comment referring to? The Rhino is a Class IV rated hitch with a capacity in excess of the LR plow. The numbers for the LR and the Rhino hitch are readily available for comparison. I may have misunderstood what the comment was referring to.

Robert Kinsler

Reaction score
What is this comment referring to? The Rhino is a Class IV rated hitch with a capacity in excess of the LR plow. The numbers for the LR and the Rhino hitch are readily available for comparison. I may have misunderstood what the comment was referring to.

Same thought.

Anyone have any insight on the bolt seating? W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72