Does this 5.0 sound healthy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m assuming since it was installed by a legitimate shop, they would have looked everything over first, changed filter and fluids though.

I don't think you want to "assume" anything. Contact the shop that did the transmission work for more details. Replacing an LR4 transmission usually involves taking the body off the frame. To go through all that labor and drop in a used transmission with 110K miles on it seems like an intentional shortcut. Knowing a rebuilt transmission was just installed would make me more confident in the purchase over some random transmission. I "assume" owner #3 got rid of the LR4 because he/she knew the transmission was failing.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, the body has to come off the frame in the LR4, it does not drop out like in most cars. This is not your typical auto trans replacement.

Yes it says three owner, the first owner had it for like 7500miles and 10 months , the second owner, had it for like 7k miles and 7500 miles and 1 year and then the last owner had it from 15k miles and 6 years. So shouldn’t I be looking at the length of the last owner. If there had been problems to a horrible degree he would not of kept it right since he owned it for so much of its life? Maybe he kept it for the duration of his auto loan? I’m sure there were no headaches before 15k miles.

It did have the LCAs replaced and A/c comp.
as far as the transmission replacement gos is replacing with a used SUCH an awful thing? I mean I have done it before, and I have also had one rebuilt. Used is definitely cheaper, but I do see y’all a point. I’m assuming since it was installed by a legitimate shop, they would have looked everything over first, changed filter and fluids though.

Joey Wharton

Reaction score
I've purchased a 2012 LR4 with one owner just out of warranty (4 yrs ago) and 3 LR3s (3 yrs used) all 1 owner cars just out of warranty. I got the vin and called LandRover everytime. They will give you a full maintenance history.

If the car spent a lot of time in the shop - pass - especially if its for the same things. If NOT - my experience is that these hold up well.

I sold all them bc i wanted an upgrade - climate package, HID lights, 3rd row...etc but they all had little annoying minor fails. So with the LR4 i just got a fully loaded LUX with 68k. Water pump had been replaced. I now have 160k miles on . She's been PHENOMENAL. Starts up everytime. She runs great but i do drive her like a grandma on normal roads, so i average 18 / 26 mpg! And I'm trying out Racine roters. Expecting those to last 60k miles. How you drive the car makes a world of difference. Although she's got a ton of torque i always gas her gently and roll to stops.

No issues other than these items:

Lower control arms
Timing tensioners
Cross over pipe

Hubby is going to pull front of engine and do a major overhaul of belts, seals, fluids, oil pan, etc when he fixes tensioners. Hoping to get another worry free 100k miles.

Moral of the story. Dig into the history and get yourself a strong reliable LR4. They do exist!

Sean A

Reaction score
I bought it! I’ve put about 1000 miles on it in like a week and it’s doing GREAT!

73864205-14C9-44C4-A9F0-5D11D3D92270.jpeg

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm late to the party here, but in addition to what everyone else said about yellow flags... I'd recommend paying for the best extended warranty you can find. Like, immediately, while you still can.

If there is no record of the water pump or crossover pipes being replaced, consider doing that as preventive maintenance, or spend a lot of time watching the engine temp when driving. You can't "assume" they have been done based only on the odometer. Air suspension system may be fine for a while, but don't be surprised if you need to replace the compressor and/or a valve block or two at some point in the next few years / 30k.

Reaction score
I have a 2012 5.0 and in my opinion that car needs $5k in timing work. Mine sounded like that and I had the guides replaced and it’s totally quiet now. The “balls” on the back of my guides were extremely worn.

Good news is this price should get the xover pipe and water pump too.

As for the trans and accidents - those are your call. Really never know, but I tend to be a person that has faith.

If you have all the documentation for oil changes there’s a chance LRNA might assist you with the timing problems. If you don’t I wouldn’t waste my time (ask me how I know).

M5Z3M

Reaction score
My buddy with a new diesel F-150 pickup is always amazed at how quiet the engine is. “Sounds like a gas engine,” he says.
My 2012 gasoline V8 LR4, on the other hand, has always sounded more like a diesel on startup. I bought it with 30,000 miles on it in 2017; now it has 120,000. That startup video of yours sounded fine.
I echo the other respondents’ concerns with the vehicle you’re looking at.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72