Does this 5.0 sound healthy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean A

Reaction score
5CF4A2CF-BB91-4B13-BECE-E462C95DC6F8.jpeg

I want to thank everyone on this forum for all the information, helping me know what to expect when buying a Land Rover. ❤️ Dreamt of of owning one my whole life and I love the LR4.

I had posted a couple weeks about buying an LR4 and I had everything sorted out and the dealership sold it from beneath me because someone else offered $3k more than the original offer price‍♂️

So I found another one, it’s a 2012 HSE LUX 93k miles for $13,500 at a Indy dealer. I have the CARFAX, but I’m going to attach a YouTube vid of the engine just so y’all can chime in before I pull the trigger in a few days. it has been maintained at the rover dealer, the oil changes by my math via the CARFAX is in that “7500 mile range”.
The dealer it is at DID replace the transmission when they got it, stating that the “fluid was REALLY burnt” they have the receipt. The transmission was installed by a import shop nearby and was used with 110k miles on it.
Carfax shows that the LCAs on front were replaced and has a new A/C Compressor. Other than that nothing else.

Should I just assume that at 93k That the water pump and crossover pipes has been replaced?
The rover is flawless otherwise, whoever has it before took VERY good care it, almost no surface rust even under it considering it came from Wisconsin.

I don’t mind investing $$$ into the water pump and crossovers, air compressor and air springs when they go or whatever else, but I have a case of “ pre buyer chain guide worry due to the internet” syndrome

this will be a daily driver, I drive about 10k-12k a year.

How long also should I expect the Air suspension to hold on for since it has 93k miles?

Please let me know what y’all think!
Thank you all!

5B7A870D-310E-4EDA-9840-FC9E9B51BD92.jpeg

0D790B55-383B-485C-9405-F3828A070825.jpeg

284A1C4F-B7B9-4DB3-B997-FF1383BA62AB.jpeg

697269DC-DD12-4A24-8D46-326FFBED8CBD.jpeg

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there are too many red flags on this LR4.

At a quick glance at what you posted there were already 3 owners.

It was involved in 3 accidents.

Then there is the transmission replacement: "The transmission was installed by a import shop nearby and was used with 110k miles on it." So rather than put in a new or rebuilt transmission they just put in a used one with 110K miles on it? Sounds like they did a quick fix to just turn around and sell the LR4.

Hard to tell from the video if it needs timing chain guides. But if it does along with a new transmission you will be facing about $8K in repairs.

Keep in mind that the leather interiors and the exterior paint on the LR4 hold up really well. (Especially if repainted from frequent accidents) Almost any LR4 will look good but you need to carefully go over all the maintenance records. I know you are excited to own one but I bet there is a better LR4 out there somewhere for you.

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tangentially echoing what Paul said above, the early LR4's are now in that zone where they could be traded because they started to give too many headaches and/or owner was aware of big repair, or because it's been long enough and it's time to move on even though there is not much wrong with it and it was well taken care of all along.

It can be hard to tell between the two, but if you have any evidence that it's one of those fixed just well enough to sell it, run. Paul's reply correctly mentions this looks probable to be one of those cars. You could get lucky, but it's a gamble.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there are too many red flags on this LR4.

At a quick glance at what you posted there were already 3 owners.

It was involved in 3 accidents.

Then there is the transmission replacement

Agreed. Unfortunately I'd stamp a big red "YIKES" on this vehicle and keep looking as well.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tangentially echoing what Paul said above, the early LR4's are now in that zone where they could be traded because they started to give too many headaches and/or owner was aware of big repair, or because it's been long enough and it's time to move on even though there is not much wrong with it and it was well taken care of all along.

It can be hard to tell between the two, but if you have any evidence that it's one of those fixed just well enough to sell it, run. Paul's reply correctly mentions this looks probable to be one of those cars. You could get lucky, but it's a gamble.

^Exactly!^ Well said!

This will be your biggest research challenge. As Quijote noted above, you need to study maintenance and repair records to separate:
- LR4's that were traded because they started to give too many headaches and/or owner was aware of big repairs needed.
OR
- LR4's that were owned long enough and it's time to move on even though there is not much wrong with it and it was well taken care of all along.

Look for a 2013 which has a lower chance of timing chain guide issues. Look for oil changes every 7500 miles. If changed every 15K miles as LR recommended, move on. Look for suspension items replaced...LCA's, hubs, steering rack, stabilizer bar bushings. New cooling fan clutch, new tailgate actuator, new air suspension pump, new water pump, new valve cover gaskets. Brake fluid, differential fluid and transfer case fluid changes. Transmission fluid & filter changed before 100K miles. These are all common maintenance issues on a well maintained LR4.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 is eight years old. In my experience a Land Rover of this vintage in pristine shape will cost $0.11/mile to maintain. A big item like engine/trans will be extra.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then there is the transmission replacement: "The transmission was installed by a import shop nearby and was used with 110k miles on it." So rather than put in a new or rebuilt transmission they just put in a used one with 110K miles on it? Sounds like they did a quick fix to just turn around and sell the LR4.

That's the part I don't get. Considering how much work is involved to pull the trans out of this truck, why would you put a used transmission in there?

Otherwise, the idle sounds fine. But as others have mentioned, too many red flags for this to be a >10k car.

Sean A

Reaction score
Yes it says three owner, the first owner had it for like 7500miles and 10 months , the second owner, had it for like 7k miles and 7500 miles and 1 year and then the last owner had it from 15k miles and 6 years. So shouldn’t I be looking at the length of the last owner. If there had been problems to a horrible degree he would not of kept it right since he owned it for so much of its life? Maybe he kept it for the duration of his auto loan? I’m sure there were no headaches before 15k miles.

It did have the LCAs replaced and A/c comp.
as far as the transmission replacement gos is replacing with a used SUCH an awful thing? I mean I have done it before, and I have also had one rebuilt. Used is definitely cheaper, but I do see y’all a point. I’m assuming since it was installed by a legitimate shop, they would have looked everything over first, changed filter and fluids though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72