Doing my oil change on 2010 LR4.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are doing reasonable intervals every 6 months then any quality synthetic will be fine. Lately I have been using 5w-20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum on 6 month intervals (about 5k miles). I swap the filter every other change (spring). I have dissected filter and it is very clean.

slim0531

Reaction score
What aren't you sure about? The Mobil 1 at least claims it's suitable for the factory spec; the Castrol Edge EP you are using does not.

If you want to feel absolutely 100% safe, just get this: https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/OCK150
But if you are changing your oil twice a year (which presumably means around 7,500 miles or less), and you aren't under warranty, you're more than likely spending a lot more than you need to if you go that route.
I was using this oil change kit from Atlantic Rover but was thinking that this kit is designed for longer mileage. What I’m not sure about is using let say Mobil 1 for my mid year oil change then dealer would use castrol during dealer maintenance. Is that ok to mix two brands of oil with same 5w 20 spec?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogwhoppit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did mine at 93,300K - $94.00 amazon prime. Used the Jag (Mahle) oil filter and 10qts of 5w-20 Castrol Edge extended performance (Gold jug, fluid Titanium). LR calls for -925A rated oil, ironically a Ford standard. The new Edge is 930/945-A, so it supersedes the 8 year old 925-A standard. No problems to date. I change the oil every 7.5K

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds good. One little item: 930/945-A does not supersede 925. Larger numbers don't automatically cover lower ones. Different specs.

jamesdchang

Reaction score
I think the formulation of the Gucci Castrol is required because of the extended factory-recommended oil change intervals. Drop those intervals down to 7,500 miles and it doesn't matter as much.

The parts manager at my local LR Dealer told me to just use whatever synthetic I wanted. I still use Mobil-1 Extended Performance because I believe it's rated to meet the factory spec, WSS-M2C925-A, but I change my oil at around 7k miles.

I’m like Ryanjl. Been using Mobil 1 EP without any issues. Have 140k+ miles no issues with accelerated wear.

Bogwhoppit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no oil expert, but I read that on a Ford forum. For what is worth, Mobil 1 advanced Synthetic also meets both 925A and 945A:

Protection for the maximum interval between recommended oil changes.

Helps to reduce fuel consumption.

Meets the requirements of Chrysler HEMI engines with MDS (Multi Displacement Systems).

Produced using a patented blend of high performance synthetic base oils, fortified with a precisely balanced system of constituents.

Specially designed to help provide unequalled levels of performance, cleansing power and engine protection, meeting the performance standard requirements ILSAC GF-4.

Meets or exceeds: API SN, SN RESOURCE CONSERVING, SM, SM Energy Conserving, SL, SJ; ILSAC GF-4, GF-5; ACEA A1/B1; Ford WSS-M2C925-A, FORD WSS-M2C945-A, WSS-M2C930-A; Chrysler MS-6395.

Recommended by ExxonMobil for applications that require: API CF; ILSAC GF-4, GF-3; GM 6049M.

So the only difference is probably the UV dye they put in the Castrol to help them void your warranty if you go with another oil manufacturer?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72