Doing my oil change on 2010 LR4.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slim0531

Reaction score
Wanted to use Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w20 Avanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil in my next oil change. Is this ok to use? I was using Castrol Professional OE 5w20 which is hard to source and is getting expensive. The dealer does my yearly maintenance and I do the in between oil change for peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the list of current threads; there's one where Castrol Edge EP was just mentioned as an alternative to the Professional OE formulation (that's what I use and agree it's a PITA and expensive).

Whether this less expensive Castrol is "ok to use" depends on a lot of factors, mostly your comfort level using something that is not specifically factory recommended. Lots of us have used alternative oils, even lots of non-Castrol alternatives. The reasons vary, including age of vehicle, driving style, frequency of changes, etc. The main rationale for using a different oil seems to be a more frequent drain interval.

We should do a poll. I would estimate that if 100 reasonably knowledgeable LR owners responded, approx 20-30% would say they stick with the Castrol Edge Professional OE. The rest would have good reasons for using other oils, assuming frequent change intervals in the 5k - 7500 mile range.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I've been using that for oil changes every 7500 miles or so on my 2011, probably for the past 4-5 years (once I had enough of paying for the $300 dealer oil changes). My LR4 has been running great (up to 85k miles), and I just had the dealer inspect the timing chains (extended warranty was expiring, so I wanted to get it checked) and they said everything in the engine is in great shape (have read on here that more frequent oil changes helps to avoid timing chain issues). That Castrol oil meets the Ford specs for our engine (if it's the same one I'm using), and Amazon sells it in 5 quart bottles (much more convenient, just buy two and you'll have a little bit left over).

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That Castrol oil meets the Ford specs for our engine (if it's the same one I'm using), and Amazon sells it in 5 quart bottles (much more convenient, just buy two and you'll have a little bit left over).

You guys may be winning me over to this other Castrol. Sure beats $11/quart for the Pro OE version...

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the formulation of the Gucci Castrol is required because of the extended factory-recommended oil change intervals. Drop those intervals down to 7,500 miles and it doesn't matter as much.

The parts manager at my local LR Dealer told me to just use whatever synthetic I wanted. I still use Mobil-1 Extended Performance because I believe it's rated to meet the factory spec, WSS-M2C925-A, but I change my oil at around 7k miles.

slim0531

Reaction score
I’m out of warranty but my dealer uses Castrol professional OE during my annual maintenance with them and I just do the in between oil changes. So basically my oil gets changed every 6 months. I think the mechanic told me that castrol professional OE has an additive that glows under UV light for easy inspection on the engine. Not sure if this is the only difference from the cheaper Castrol Edge EP. hopefully someone could enlighten me formulation wise if these two are somewhat similar.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m out of warranty but my dealer uses Castrol professional OE during my annual maintenance with them and I just do the in between oil changes. So basically my oil gets changed every 6 months. I think the mechanic told me that castrol professional OE has an additive that glows under UV light for easy inspection on the engine. Not sure if this is the only difference from the cheaper Castrol Edge EP. hopefully someone could enlighten me formulation wise if these two are somewhat similar.

Castrol Professional OE is recommended as it meets the WSS-M2C925-A spec, which, as far as anyone can tell, is a spec used to meet the extended factory-recommended oil change intervals. There's no other reason Castrol Professional OE is recommended other than for that spec.

If the cheaper Castrol Edge EP doesn't meet that spec (I do not believe it does), then there's no real reason to use it versus any other synthetic out there.

Mobil 1 EP is "suitable" for engines that require the WSS-M2C925-A spec. You can read more here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1693619/1

I believe most here use either the Mobil 1 EP or the Gucci Castrol.

Can I ask why you take it to the dealer for an oil change once a year and change it yourself once a year? It's so easy to change the oil on these things, why not do it yourself twice a year?

slim0531

Reaction score
Castrol Professional OE is recommended as it meets the WSS-M2C925-A spec, which, as far as anyone can tell, is a spec used to meet the extended factory-recommended oil change intervals. There's no other reason Castrol Professional OE is recommended other than for that spec.

If the cheaper Castrol Edge EP doesn't meet that spec (I do not believe it does), then there's no real reason to use it versus any other synthetic out there.

Mobil 1 EP is "suitable" for engines that require the WSS-M2C925-A spec. You can read more here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1693619/1

I believe most here use either the Mobil 1 EP or the Gucci Castrol.

Can I ask why you take it to the dealer for an oil change once a year and change it yourself once a year? It's so easy to change the oil on these things, why not do it yourself twice a year?
It’s basically for peace of mind because the oil change includes multipoint inspection and I trust the mechanic over there that he tells me what needs to be changed and what needs attention later. So is it ok to use mobile 1 for my mid year change and dealer uses castrol? I’m not really sure about this.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s basically for peace of mind because the oil change includes multipoint inspection and I trust the mechanic over there that he tells me what needs to be changed and what needs attention later. So is it ok to use mobile 1 for my mid year change and dealer uses castrol? I’m not really sure about this.

What aren't you sure about? The Mobil 1 at least claims it's suitable for the factory spec; the Castrol Edge EP you are using does not.

If you want to feel absolutely 100% safe, just get this: https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/OCK150
But if you are changing your oil twice a year (which presumably means around 7,500 miles or less), and you aren't under warranty, you're more than likely spending a lot more than you need to if you go that route.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72